Crockpot Help/Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmustang

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,
I am in the market for a new crockpot. My current one is at least 15 years old and is not doing so well these days. My biggest concern actually is cord length. I like to put the crock on the stove top due to the heat and lack of counter space. Everyone I have bought in the last few month has gone back to the store, I swear they all have 6 inch cords. I need one with a 3 foot cord, like my old faithfull. Any recommendations?
Thank you!
Angel

Rather than choose a slow cooker because of the length of its cord, buy the best one you can afford along with an extension cord/plug strip.

West Bend 5 qt oblong. Mine has been working for 25 years or so. The cord is 26" long, which is probably as good as you are going to do. Something about long cords and countertop kitchen appliances falls into a safety issue.

West Bend 5 qt oblong. Mine has been working for 25 years or so. The cord is 26" long, which is probably as good as you are going to do. Something about long cords and countertop kitchen appliances falls into a safety issue.
Doesn't really explain why my B&D fp has a cord that is about 9 inches long. Pain in the butt.

Doesn't really explain why my B&D fp has a cord that is about 9 inches long. Pain in the butt.

I used to have an electric deep fryer that not only had a short cord, it was breakaway. Now THAT was a pain in the butt. Not everyone has a modern kitchen with half a dozen receptacles along the counter.

I definitely don't have enough receptacles. But, I know someone who could remedy that for me <g>. I thought I could put the bread machine on the dishwasher (portable) and plug it in--wrong, cord's too short. All my extension cords are 50 ft, so that's a pain in the butt, too. I sort of "chain stitch" them to make them shorter, but I can't put the cord on the floor without the bread machine coming unplugged.

Thankfully, I have a lot of receptacles in my kitchen. I agree with the power strip if you don't have enough, and can't find a CP with a longer cord.

Back to slow cookers for a moment.

We are very pleased with the Cuisinart products we've purchased. They all do their intended jobs very well. I don't use a slow cooker but would expect a Cuisinart slow cooker to perform very well.

I have a Hamilton Beach, a Nesco combo, and a few other crockpots. Maybe it's because they're older, but the cords are all longer than 2 feet.

Okay, I need a US/UK "translation" please!

In kitchen counter top terms, what is a "receptacle"?

I think of a receptacle as a type of container or tub.

Okay, I need a US/UK "translation" please!

In kitchen counter top terms, what is a "receptacle"?

I think of a receptacle as a type of container or tub.

It's the thing on the wall that you plug stuff into.

^This is the technical term.

:LOL:

I feel bad now! Poor MrsMustang is looking for sound advice on her new crockpot purchase!

Mine has a 1metre cord. (About 39 inches) And it's a DeLonghi. (But I didn't buy it - I swapped it for a bread maker I wasn't using).

None of which is getting MrsM any further forward of course.... :blush:

I'm no help--I have an older Rival slow cooker, and a Westbend slow cooker, and two roasters (tabletop ovens). And a couple of other slow cookers that I used to use when washing mohair or merino fleece.

Good idea re: the power bar, if I can find a place to put it when not in use. I don't like anything to live on the counters (grew up in a house with too much stuff on the counters).

...Good idea re: the power bar, if I can find a place to put it when not in use. I don't like anything to live on the counters (grew up in a house with too much stuff on the counters).

Mine is a permanent fixture because of what's plugged into it. It hides behind the coffeemaker.

Well, seeing as MrsM has clearly given up in disgust, I can say that I have many, many wall sockets in my kitchen. This is the one good thing my useless landlord provided in my crappy flat. And since I love to cook, it's jolly useful. :)

Unfortunately, I can't make the kitchen big enough for a food processor, which is quite tragic - since I have plenty sockets to plug one into! :doh:

Back
Top Bottom