"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Cook

Crockpot, slow cooker, dutch oven

I am window shopping for a crockpot or slow cooker and have no idea whats out there and what features are on both

I have a dutch oven but I also have no idea if I could use it in place of the cp or sc. I would also like to hear anyones reccomendations on which ones are worth the money

Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

R&S --- I don't use a CP that often, but I do use CI dutch ovens --- mostly in campfire situations --- I think the CP I have are Rival brand ...they seemed to have worked well when I used them --- Someone else may have other --- more modern ones.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't use my old crockpot that often, but there's a new one on the market that I've been somewhat interested in (I started a thread about it here last fall sometime). If I remember correctly, I believe it's made by Hamilton Beach & consists of 3 different-size crock inserts (small, medium, large) depending on how many people you're cooking for/how much food you want to make. I thought this was a terrific idea, & have been kicking around picking one up, since I think I'd use it much more often than the old big one I have - especially since I'm normally just cooking for my husband & myself. Last fall I believe WalMart had them for between $50-$60.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have three crockpots -- one huge one for church potlucks and such, a medium one for 4 - 6 people, and a little 2-quart one perfect for 2 or 1 with leftovers. Also, a tiny crockpot for gravies and fondue and sauces came with the big one. I love my crockpot! They are so useful when I don't feel like really cooking but I want my yummy soups or stews.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Head Chef

I also have three slow cookers, a large one that is family size that I seldom use any more, a smaller 4 quart that has a permanent spot on my counter, and a small 1-qt "crockette" for making oatmeal and other small meals.

I highly recommend the Hamilton Beach and if you have a family their newer 3-in-1 slow cooker can't be beat. Stay away from the newer RIVAL Crock-Pots because they run way too hot.

My favorite food from a slow cooker is baked beans, followed by chicken, soups and roasts.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

My only advice is buy a name brand. I bought an off brand and the first time I used it I burned myself on the outside, it got THAT hot on the outside.

I threw it out and bought a Rival.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Try Sam's Club or Costco ... they have some nice ones at great prices.

Also ... the latest in crock-pots is the one with the clamp on lid to help prevent spills when transporting food.

JoMama