"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Cook

Cuisinart Rice Cooker... CRC-400

Hey gang. I got one for christmas (Cuisinart Rice Cooker CRC-400) I used it today to make brown rice (dont eat white). I put in 1/2 cup of brown rice, and about 1 cup of chicken broth. In the end, when it was done the rice was still a bit hard, and it was even starting to burn at the bottom. Luckily i checked it when i did! Is this just a case where i should have added more fluid? Anyone have any recommended rice to fluid ratios i should be using? Seems the one in the manual isnt quite right. Thanks.

-S

Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

This is the first time that I ever heard of rice burning in a rice cooker.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Cook

lol... ****, i'm good
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
This is the first time that I ever heard of rice burning in a rice cooker.
Ditto what Corey said! A rice cooker basically works this way ... it heats up to a max of 212F (the boiling point of water) - and as long as there is water in the cooker the temp will not go any higher ... but once the water is absorbed THEN the temp can increase - at which point it shuts off, or goes to the keep warm mode.

RTFM - Read The Furnished Manual! Brown rice may need a pre-soak - or a liquid increase of about 25% (according to the Tips on Page 3). Also, there is the measuring differences between the cup supplied with the rice cooker vs a standard measuring cup - these are noted in the manual as "Rice Cooker" and "Standard Liquid Measure".

Another problem ... DON'T LIFT THE LID during cooking! When you do - it releases steam and heat - and throws the thermostat off.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
When I make brown rice in a rice cooker I always add 1/2 again as much liquid as for white rice, i.e. 1 cup white rice plus 2 cups water, 1 cup brown rice plus 3 cups water.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Did you use the little plastic measuring cup that came with the cooker? Do not use a regular cup measure. The little plastic cup is not a normal measured cup. I think it is 6 oz instead of 8, but I am not positive.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Ditto what Corey said! A rice cooker basically works this way ... it heats up to a max of 212F (the boiling point of water) - and as long as there is water in the cooker the temp will not go any higher ... but once the water is absorbed THEN the temp can increase - at which point it shuts off, or goes to the keep warm mode.

RTFM - Read The Furnished Manual! Brown rice may need a pre-soak - or a liquid increase of about 25% (according to the Tips on Page 3). Also, there is the measuring differences between the cup supplied with the rice cooker vs a standard measuring cup - these are noted in the manual as "Rice Cooker" and "Standard Liquid Measure".

Another problem ... DON'T LIFT THE LID during cooking! When you do - it releases steam and heat - and throws the thermostat off.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you.

And yes, brown IS supposed to be pre-soaked first before doing it in the cooker.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
Head Chef

I have never soaked my brown rice before cooking.

The only thing to remember is that it is a two-to-one liquid to rice measure for brown (i.e. one cup rice, two cups liquid) rice. It takes a bit longer to cook than white, even in the cooker.

Z
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Cook

Thanks all. First thing's first, i was using a regular measuring cup, not the one it came with. I'm going to make another batch today, i'll post my results!. Thanks again.
S
Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You're welcome!

Are the water levels for whichever rice you're coooking marked inside the bowl?