Cuisinart versus Viking food processors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which food processor?

• Cuisinart Prep 11 Plus Food Processor

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Viking Food Processor

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crankin

Senior Cook
I know there is already a post open about food processors but I didn't want to change the topic of that one. So here I am debating between an 11-cup Cuisinart and a 12-cup Viking food processor. The Viking does cost $100 more but that is not a big concern of mine because this is going to be a gift and the person giving it would not care. Here are links to each one at Cooking.com:

a. Cuisinart Black Prep 11 Plus Food Processor - Cooking.com
b. Viking Graphite Gray Food Processor - Cooking.com

Honestly I have never heard anything of the Viking unit but I know Viking is a pretty high quality company so I thought maybe it would be good. Which would you choose?

EDIT: One piece of information that I have been looking for but cannot find is the weight of these two units. If anyone can find that specification I would greatly appreciate it because that would be a big influence on my decision. I can tell just by looking that the Viking would be heavier, but I am not sure by how much.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about wither one. Were I in the market for a new FP, I would not spend the extra $100 for the Viking as I believe the Cuisinart is a fine product. There are also Kitchen Aid FP that are considered good stuff.

I have a KA.....Even with money not being a big concern, I would go with the Cuisinart over the Viking. My thoughts would be the Cuisinart has a proven track record while the Viking is some what newer on the market,.... yet the Viking is probably an excellent machine too!

the Cuisinart looks like it has a bigger shute..which I would like better :) Plus it has extra blades.

Last edited:
First of all consider that you can get the 14 cup Cusinart for 199.99 bucks in BB and B. Same everything except old design.

P.S. I do have 2 Cusinarts 11 and 14 cups. And love them. Also there are always 20% off coupons for BB & B in the paper, I don't know if they sell Viking but they do sell Cusinart. And I found out that the biger the better.

I get those 20%-off coupons from BB&B in the mail all the time.

And no, I haven't seen a Viking FP there. I think Williams Sonoma might have it though.

Their main FP's are Cuisinart and K'Aid.

I am on my second Cuisinart in 20 years. I'm very satisfied. Plus they are always on sale.

Viking is an applicance maker trying to leverage their brand name to knives and other stuff. That always makes me a bit suspicious.

Like Cuisinart knives.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I wouldn't buy Viking epsecially after seeing Emeril Lagasse and Bobby Flay struggling to get the bowl off their Viking Stand Mixers.

They both had to turn the whole thing over just to empty the bowl!! Not very good for a countertop appliance. Yes, that's a mixer, but who's to say that it won't happen with the Viking FP's as well?

Don't want to discourage, upset or scare anyone who is about to, or has already bought one, but their food prep appliances are just not my cup of tea.

Trust me, go with K'Aid.

Last edited:
That's a now famous and quite funny episode. Neither chef had ever seen the machine before and had no idea where the latch release was so they couldn't get the beater up or the bowl off. Now that is not Viking's fault. In the past Viking has some issues with their ranges and service for them, but these have been addressed in recent years so we're told. Many loyal Viking owners out there for sure.

I have a 14 cup cuisinart, btw.

They were able to tilt back the motor head with the release button. The problem came when they just couldn't turn the bowl to release it from the locked position on the base. It was hopelessly stuck.

Who wants a mixer where you must turn the whole thing over just to empty the bowl? Not me!

Last edited:
Amazon.com lists the weights as:

Cuisinart Black Prep 11 Plus Food Processor (DLC-2011BKN):
transp.gif
18 pounds

Viking Graphite Gray Food Processor (VFP12GG):
transp.gif
25 pounds

Actually, the Viking FP comes in about 4 or 5 colors.

And I was browsing around in Macy's this afternoon and saw the Cuisinart Black Prep 11 Plus there, but didn't check the price.

They also have a cute little blue K'Aid FP there as well!

Haha!!

The same thing is true about Black & Decker! They make kitchen appliances, hand tools, power tools, lawn equiptment as well as pressure (spray) washers.

At this point, and with those co's., who knows what, and who is making what and for whom?:ermm:

I think I read somewhere that they have their own cookware now as well.

At least, we know that K'Aid is made by Whirlpool. And BTW, Cuisinart's FP's are made by Conair - a hair dryer co..:LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom