"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Exclamation Danger!!!......K'Aid Grinder Attachment Can Kill Your K'Aid Stand Mixer!!!

Hi, everyone!

I just had a bad stroke of luck!

I just used the K'Aid grinder attachment for the first time on Friday evening, and it killed the mixer - my new beautiful white K5SSWH model!!

I was grinding some raw beef stew meat to make Sloppy Joes. In the middle of doing it, the mixer began to labor seriously. I immediately turned it off. But the damage was already done! Luckily, my smaller K45SS was there to help finish the job. But that one could have seized also!

I later tried the machine with nothing attached to it and it seemed to pick up speed, but it again began to labor.

I just got off the phone with the appliance repairman at the place where I'm to send the machine for repairs. He told me that using the grinder attachment, especially for meat, causes fluids to back up into the power drive hub and could seize that part and the tansmission, so now, I have to send the machine to him and he'll fix it for me.

The motor is still good. It just can't work well now with the tranny being seized like it is. I'm also going to send the grinder attachment back to Cooking.com after I call them later in the week!

So please, be aware of this the next time that you want to use your K'Aid grinder attachment with your mixer! I'm just going to use the food processor the next time I want to grind any meat!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
AWWWWW geeez. Im sorry to hear that. One would think they have some warning for this.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Sous Chef

speaking of using a food processor for grinding meat...i have had great success doing that with salmon to make salmon burgers.

has anyone ever tried to grind red meat in a food processor?? like say get a chuck steak and grind it?

if so, what method did you use? did u cut it into say....1 inch cubes and which blad did u use??

TIA!!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

In my opinion a food proccesor is not the tool for grinding meat...period.
You will have a mushy goo!...Not a grind...The texture after cooking might be on the "different' side...However if you want to try it..I would cube it up into smaller pieces...
Again...this is just one man's opinion...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Corey...

I used one of those grinders for years...heavy duty use..proccessing deer etc...I never had that problem...

I find the comment by the repairman..."using the grinder attachment especially for meat"...odd/strange...Ah. what esle would you use it for? Is that not the prrmary purpose of the attachment? These of course are rhetorical questions. I went to the kitchen to look at mine...but can't find it...I bought a stand alone heavier grinder last year...I guess the KA attachment has been stored out of my site!

No matter...I am not there...and am certainly not a repairman....my point is this should not have happened...I would "demand" repair/replacement at KA's expense!

Give them the "devil"

Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Sous Chef

thats what i was thinking (about the gooo part). i usually just pick out a nice looking chuck steak, and get the supermarket butcher to grind it for me.

he always gives me this annoyed look like "we have an entire ground meat section"

...and i am looking for ways to do it myself without having to buy an expensive and hard to clean grinder...
Old 02-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Cleaning a grinder...be it a KA attachement or a stand alone type can be somewhat of a chore...Grinding small amounts of meat sometimes make it not worth the hassle....I know when I drag out my stand alone machine I have some serious grinding to do...at least 10 lbs or more...sometimes 40 lb...So then it is worth the time/effort to clean.

Edit...Mugsy...there are manual(inexpensive) models..Can be hard to crank at times..but they do work. Sad to say they have to be cleaned too!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I don't get this. What speed were you using on the mixer to grind the meat?
I have had my KA mixer for 35 years and ground all kinds of stuff. There is something wrong with this picture.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

Wow, interesting. I've used my meat grinder attachment for years, never had any problem. Better be carefull next time.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Executive Chef

This particular machine, he says, has been a victim of the grinder attachment. I've used speed 4 as the manual suggests.

i'm not going to use the grinder any more, so I'm going to arrange to send it back for a refund.

Incidently, the grinder attachment is the one that causes the machine to draw the most power. He even said the fruit / veggie strainer also is a danger to the mixer!

According to what he told me, every attachment is ok to use except the grinder. The food processor, like I said, will be used to grind meat from now on.