"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy for the information...I am sure the newer/modern fryers are light years ahead of the things I had once. I like the idea of larger capacity too.

Thank you again!

PS..You can keep your knee-caps!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

When we were kids, the deep fryers back then were small and thick-wall insulated with a cloth-covered cord and had a small basket.

The bottom was black and the top was stainless steel or aluminum and had a heat control. You couldn't immerse the thing in any liquid because it was all one unit. Guess they don't make them like that any more.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

I have the Delonghi and while it's ok, it really doesn't get quite hot enough. If I were to do it over I'd spend a bit more and get one that will really heat up. The model I have makes oil straining and storing very easy and it's easy to clean and I sure won't replace it at this point because I don't use it all that often. It's great for veggies, seafood and small foods but just doesn't get hot enough to do say fried chicken pieces.

just mho
Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

For what it's worth, I am more than satisfied with my DeLonghi fryer.

As for the number of uses. It seems to to me to depend more on what is being fried. If there is a lot of crumbed or battered use, unless the oil is filtered, it will need to be replaced. If it used for potatoes, fries or chips, or other uses that don't produce as much pollution to the oil, it can be reused much more often than the four or five times suggested by GB. At least that is my experience.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Isn't it messy filtering your oil manually every time you fry?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
Isn't it messy filtering your oil manually every time you fry?
I love onion rings so much that the hassle of filtering the oil is the only reason I don't eat them every day.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I love onion rings so much that the hassle of filtering the oil is the only reason I don't eat them every day.
I wish I hadn't read this post. Just going to have to find an excuse to do onion rings tonight...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb

Thank you everybody for your input. I actually purchased the emeril deep fryer yesterday. Here is what I found out the construction of the unit is top notch, and taking it completely apart and for dishwashing was a breeze and putting it back together also no problem. My wife and I tried it out last night and we made fresh french fries, frozen onion rings and chicken nuggets. I am very very pleased with the cooking of this unit. Ok now I woke up 2 hours ago and went to check the oil filtration system and to my amazement this is where this deep fryer stands out from others. The oil looks like it was never used. I pulled out the oil pan at the bottom of the unit and couldn't believe the job this unit did. I know other deep fryers can cost you alot in replacement filters, but not this one.
The bottom line the unit is 1700 watts and probably fries like a $50.00 unit, but the oil filtration devise in the unit is worth every penny I paid for this. I just took the clean oil out of the unit poured it in an empty bottle, took the machine apart and threw it in the dishwasher again (EXCEPT THE HEATING ELEMENT) total time for that 5 minutes.
Remember t I only used this unit once, but I will report back on this thread in the future to update my post.

Thank You For Reading This
g-ac-15
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #19
Head Chef

Glad to hear it was a success.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #20
Executive Chef

For those who might be interested in getting a new deep fryer, Presto STILL makes the Fry Baby, Fry Daddy and the Gran Pappy.

They also make the Options Multi-Cooker, which is the one that I have, and yes, it deep fries as well and has it's own basket. Visit Presto® Pressure Cookers and Electric Appliances for more info.

I also own the Turk N' Surf, a much larger deep fryer for 14-lb turkeys. But you probably won't want that one because it uses a lot of oil to deep fry and peanut oil is very expensive. I only used it once.