"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
The fry baby and fry daddy are for amateurs. They really don't crank out the heat required to do the job properly, and they have a very small capacity. If I was going to get a Presto deep fryer, I would opt for one of the dual basket ProFry Immersion element deep fryers they sell, and I would definitely order the Jumbo ProFry basket as an accessory if it didn't come with it.

Corey, that Turk'n'Surf? Isn't that what people buy every Novemeber to burn down their houses, garages, or carports?

Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
Isn't it messy filtering your oil manually every time you fry?
I don't find it so, no. I simply place a very large funnel in the neck of the jug the oil came in (I use canola oil, btw), set the gold (permanent) coffee filter inside the funnel, lift out the control panel/heater element and place it over a paper towel, lift out the pot and slowly pour the oil through the funnel. Then I put everything except the control panel/heater element, including the funnel and coffee filter, into the dishwasher.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #23
Head Chef

Caine, have pity on us poor amateurs.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:01 AM   #24
Sous Chef

I heard a feature on NPR yesterday about Crisco changing their formula so there are no trans fats. In a test kitchen they commented that the grease was much more re-useable--could be used for more than a week (these were commercial type fryers). Ifound that amazing--and interesting.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Question

In The emerilware deep fryer instructional manual they reccomend using vegetable oil. Does anybody know why? I always thought peanut oil was the most popular. I need to be educated on my types of oils to use and why.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Glad you are happy with your new Emeril Fryer

I bought the Waring Pro Professional grade fryer last year for 150 bucks and it was worth every penny. Only thing it dont have id the built in filteration system.

As for them saying to only use vegetable oil they dont want you to use Lard and animal fats of such types . Vegetable oils = olive, corn, peanut , canola, etc... will be fine.

Good luck and happy frying!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
...As for them saying to only use vegetable oil they dont want you to use crisco (anilmal fat)and such types ...

petey:

Crisco is not animal fat. It's hydrogenated vegetable oil.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
petey:

Crisco is not animal fat. It's hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Doh!!!!

I have never even used the stuff. I know my deep fryer gives instructions not to use Crisco in the deep fryer........oh wait a minute.....maybe it was Lard that it said not to use.

Happy Frying!!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

It could be lard you were thinking of. I'm not sure why they don't want you to use either lard or Crisco, they are supposed to give fried foods the best flavor.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #30
Master Chef

I've often wondered about getting a deep fryer for home. I usually use the stove top with a large cast aluminum pot ( DH's grandma's kitchen used on wood stove). All the different brands and features made my head swim so didn't buy. But after reading this thread may have to check out some of these recommended here!