"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Deep fryer?

I've been thinking about buying a deep fryer. I did alot of reviews on them and was going to go with the Delongi roto model but than I was told about the emeril deep fryer from a good friend of mine who bought it a linen's and things for $150.00 with a 20% coup. Not so bad with the coupon. She told me she wouldn't trade it for the world especially for the feature of it recycles the oil for you up to 15 times and the whole unit is dishwasher safe EXCEPT the heating element. The only down time she says is that it takes 3 hours to recycle oil before you can clean the unit. To me that is no big deal just a legitamate excuse not to clean it right away. (Ha Ha)

Has anybody used this unit yet and if so can you give your opinions on it. I realize its only out about 3 or four months now. I would also appreciate any insight on other user's deep fryer encounters.

Thank You g-ac-15

Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Cook

this unit

this unit seems to have pretty good reviews:
Amazon.com: T-Fal FR7008002 Ultimate EZ Clean Stainless Steel Pro Fryer: Home & Garden

I was thinking of buying it soon. It filters the oil which would be cook if it works and makes your oil last longer. It isn't one of the digital controled units if that is important to you.

ncage

Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

That's a lot of money for a fryer. The only difference is the filtration/drainage system. You can get a very good fryer, with a larger oil capacity, for less money.

Check out this one.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure how you could use the oil up to 15 times. I am no expert on the matter, but oil breaks down a little more each time you use it. I would think 4 or 5 times would be the max, but again I am no expert.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I agree with GB about the oil use!!
To the OP, shop on Amazon, and particularly look in Today's Deals or the Outlet--or on Friday, the Friday Sale. There are some really nice fryers for a lot less than that--and I have to ask, how much will it be used. Iknow that when you DO use it you want it to do the job well, but on a cost basis, a different fryer might fill the bill.
And one that comes apart for cleaning is a really good feature, from what I have read on other boards.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I read bad reviews on the Euro-Pro deep fryer, and I have had nothing but bad experiences with DeLonghi products, so I bought myself the Philips Deep Fryer and have had nothing but good luck and good food with it. Every time I use it I recycle the oil myself by, after it cools of course, draining it back in to the plastic jug it came in through a funnel lined with a gold coffee filter. Depending I what I cook it the oil (usually potatoes, but sometimes fish or chicken) I can reuse it anywhere from 5 to 15 times.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I read bad reviews on the Euro-Pro deep fryer...

I've had the Euro Pro in the link above for sevral years and am completely happy with it. Granted this is just one person's experience. One of the things I like about it is the large oil capacity, That gives you a lot of residual heat retention so recovery time is less. This model holds 20 cups (5 quarts).
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
That's a lot of money for a fryer. The only difference is the filtration/drainage system. You can get a very good fryer, with a larger oil capacity, for less money.

Check out this one.
Andy

It has been years since an electric fryer graced one of my counter tops.
The darn things just would not get hot. Recovery time was dismal resulting in get-down-get-funky greasy fried foods! Are you saying this thing will get really hot, maintain, and recover quickly? If so..I may purchase one based on your word.
I warn you however my friend..If it is not what you say it is...your knee-caps are MINE!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Uncle Bob:

I'm not comparing my electric fryer to a pot full of oil on the stove top. I don't have the comparative info to do that.

What I'm saying is this:

Electric fryers ar limited in how much heat they can generate by the amount of power delivered to the standard kitchen outlet. That's usually 15 amps, maybe sometimes 20 amps. As a result, you can expect 1500-1800 watts of output for the fryer.

That being the equal starting point, a fryer with a larger oil capacity will not drop as much in temperature as one with smaller oil capacity, so I would lean towards a 5 or 6 liter oil capacity over one with a 3 or 4 liter capacity. Even though it will take longer for the oil to reach temp, it will do better once it does.

PS: My kneecaps aren't going anywhere.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have one from Sam's, I recycle oil my self, or simply dump it. It was $49 bukcs, I also love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Works just fine, and I have big family. No reason to go crazy. Unless you have money to waist. Good luck with whatever you get.