"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Deep Fryer Help?

Hi, everybody. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a deep fryer to replace my father's current Presto Fry Daddy, which is teflon-lined. Can any of you suggest one to me, based on the following two requirements?

1) It should NOT have one of those heating elements that stick out into the oil, as they look not only fragile, but also very hard to clean, and

2) The inner frying chamber should NOT be aluminum or coated with teflon, because I'm trying to avoid dubious substances being into the food he's cooking.

Ideally I'd like one that is stainless steel inside, with enamel coating or something like that.
Thanks.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I also have a Teflon coated Fry Daddy (very old) and the polished aluminum Fry Daddy.
I prefer the coated one over the polished aluminum as the AL one has raised ribs on the bottom that interferes with cooking. Specifically interferes with cooking utensils used for deep frying.
The Teflon coated fryer is smooth and effortless. Its easier to fry in and much easier to wash. Its my choice for Fry Daddy. I don't think the Teflon coated ones are even available anymore and that is a shame.

Now to the element.
Fry daddy has one thing wrong with it. Burned loose pieces of cooked food and breadings or batters end up on the bottom. In turn when food is added to a fryer like this, it sinks to the bottom and picks up these left over pieces and burned flour ect...

The key is to keep the food above these particles that have fallen to the bottom of the fryer. All the very good deep fryers have the element immersed for a reason. Even, quick heating of the oil.
So, until a manufacturer combines the two best parts of frying, you have to choose.
Take a fryer with an exposed element and basket or use a fryer like Fry Daddy.

My next fryer will have an exposed element and basket. I have received as gifts decent fryers with exposed element and basket. But I think quality was not observed when the purchase was made. They always get taken back to the store if possible. They also use more oil than Fry Daddy does. Much more oil.
I have not shopped for a fryer in the last couple years so maybe there is a perfect fryer out there somewhere?

Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangiareVomitare View Post
Hi, everybody. I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a deep fryer to replace my father's current Presto Fry Daddy, which is teflon-lined. Can any of you suggest one to me, based on the following two requirements?

1) It should NOT have one of those heating elements that stick out into the oil, as they look not only fragile, but also very hard to clean, and

2) The inner frying chamber should NOT be aluminum or coated with teflon, because I'm trying to avoid dubious substances being into the food he's cooking.

Ideally I'd like one that is stainless steel inside, with enamel coating or something like that.

Thanks.
"Enameled oil pot removes for quick cleanup"

Aroma ADF-232 Digital Deep Fryer | Overstock.com Shopping - Big Discounts on Aroma Fryers

I don't know if this is a good deep fryer---- just posted it because it doesn't have a teflon oil pot.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm sure that I'm a voice crying in the wilderness, but I use a deep stainless steel pan on the stove. Most kitchens have several different sizes available, clean up is a breeze and it is one less item to store. If you are concerned about temperature control then invest in a thermometer for $5 to $10 bucks, I don't bother with one I just guesstimate the temperature of the oil.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm sure that I'm a voice crying in the wilderness, but I use a deep stainless steel pan on the stove. !
You may be 'that voice' but it''s a sensible one!
We all want our 'toys' now but deep frying was done way before FryDaddy was ever born.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

After getting a dedicated pot for deep frying I'll never go back to electric.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Sous Chef

One question for you experienced deep fryers, how do you dispose of the used oil? Do you use new oil every time?

I'm never sure exactly what to do with the used oil. I've usually put it in a empty coffee can or something like that and trashed it.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I use it til it gets funky. At least/about six times, but I don't strain either, I leave it in the pot. And I pour it in my burn pit to dispose.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Not that I'm experienced, but I'll get on a deep frying tear now and then.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Pac, do you refrigerate the used oil or leave it out?