Deep Fryers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in the market for a home deep fryer.I have done quite a bit of research & none of the fryers on the market seem to be worthy.The main problems are reaching a high enough temperature(400F) reliably & recovery time once the food is added(aside of cleaning problems & accurate thermostats).What are your experiences or amI better off outdoor(odors& safety)on a gas ring with my dutch oven,a wire basket & thermometer?

My friends, family and I prefer using a cast iron dutch oven on the range to do our deep frying to using an electric fryer.

I have a Europro with a 20 cup (5 quart) capacity. This higher capacity promotes a quicker recovery. Other units which hold less oil will recover more slowly.

The top temp is 385F. That seems to work for most of the stuff I fry.

You are limited by home electrical current. There's only so much heat you can generate from a 120 volt, 15 amp circuit.

Also have a 5 liter capacity model with twin baskets & a submerged heating element. It only goes to 400 degrees, but what would you fry that would require higher heat? Just curious...I tend to do most of my frying at 350, and occasionally 375. But 350 is optimal for most things, plus much higher heat really breaks the oil down fast. And, many types of oil start to undergo an effect similar to hydrogenation at high heat.

Thank you for the replies.The reason I would like to go as high as 400F is to shorten the temperature ricovery time of the oil when cooking at 750F(french fryes 2nd bath),turning down the heat just after puting the food in.I think the faster the food cook the less oil is absorbed.for the time being I think i'llgo with the outdoor gas ring,can't go wrong pricewise.

There are small commercial frying units available at commercial restaurant supplies. Some are equipped for a 120 outlet. I'm not sure about the highest temperature of those, but they are designed to fry potatos, and can be used for other items as well. I'm not sure if they can be used for a standard kitchen, but they look like they're designed for portability.

MrCoffee

It's not necessarily true that higher heat will result in less oil absorption. Food must be cooked at the proper heat, not necessarily the highest heat. No commercially available oil can survive cooking at 750 F!:shock: Certainly not with oxygen present & at one atmosphere. Even the sturdiest oils have smoke points well under 500 degrees F.

I was gonna say.. that most all "home" fryers will only heat to about 385 degrees and have an automatic shutoff circuit at 585 degrees. (That MIGHT be a Federal Law or Regulation, I don't know).

I was also gonna say... that since most oils we would use have a "smoke point" at 400-450 degrees and a "flash point" (when little eruptions of flame appear on the surface) at about 600 degrees and a "fire point" (when your whole pot of oil goes up in one big "whoosh" type blast of flame) at about 700 degrees...

Cooking your fries at 750 for the 2nd bath probably makes for a pretty "crispy" fry :rolleyes:

I thought that MUST be a typo...

BTW: I've been researching deep fryers on and off for awhile... thinking it's something I can't live without. I use a cast iron pot and clip a Polder probe thermometer to the inside and that works fine for the limited deep frying I do now...

Anyway... after watching Alton Brown on a "deep fryer" program and reading various recommendations on other forums, etc., I had kinda decided that this Waring:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009K3V1/qid=1113129916/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4762689-8389461?v=glance&s=books&n=1000 was the best one... for me anyway... and the one I'd get. Unfortunately, as is often the case, it's also about the most expensive one out there too:mad:.

Some considerations were the 1800 watt heater allowing for very fast recovery, the 4 quart size (compromise between the 3 and 5+ quart units out there)...

But I'm sure you'll find that everyone has their own favorites to recommend.

Thanks Lutzzz, yes typo(but,WOW,way to go for a fryes lover,the 750F flashpoint to glory).I checked professional coutertop fryers but you cannot get one of those for less than $500(thank you Mrcoffe,well worth the look).So onward(backward?) to cast iron,Polder prod & singed eyebrows for the fry Samurais.The few,the brave, the monosaturated(or is it poly?).

Back
Top Bottom