"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Deli Slicer wanted

I'm starting to get serious about looking for a decent deli slicer for home. I want to spend $100 to $150 and I'm looking for something that I'll use about once a month for bacon, roast beef, turkey, and other homemade lunch meats.

I've looked on Amazon pretty thoroughly and I'm not seeing much difference in the slicers in this price range. Any tips or suggestions?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have this slicer. All metal. Stay away from plastic.
Rival Meat Slicer | eBay

Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Head Chef

To be honest, I don't believe you can get a "decent" slicer for that price. A 7" or 8" blade is too small, I would look for something in a 10"-12" blade, but the cost goes up to over $300.00 but is worth the higher price.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
To be honest, I don't believe you can get a "decent" slicer for that price. A 7" or 8" blade is too small, I would look for something in a 10"-12" blade, but the cost goes up to over $300.00 but is worth the higher price.

+ 1

Old 04-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Head Chef

Forgot to mention: the blades are not as efficient because most of them have ripper blades, also the motors are just too small and lack power.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Go to a restaurant supply site and look at their slicers, maybe you can get a refurbished one cheaper. I would also look at Cabelas.com for a better home type slicer.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...MMcat104798880
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Well...
I have a "plastic" slicer that has a 7 or 8" blade, is in the price range the OP mentioned (or at least was) and handles the foods he mentioned perfectly. True, there are times I would like a 12" slicer, but I do not have a dedicated spot for it and my small slicer is probably 1/3 the weight, therefore much handier for occassional use. Yet heavy enough not to slide around on the counter.
But then I recently traded in my large pickup truck with a Hemi engine because I realized I just didn't need something that big or with that much gas guzzling hp. To each their own.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well...
I have a "plastic" slicer that has a 7 or 8" blade, is in the price range the OP mentioned (or at least was) and handles the foods he mentioned perfectly. True, there are times I would like a 12" slicer, but I do not have a dedicated spot for it and my small slicer is probably 1/3 the weight, therefore much handier for occassional use. Yet heavy enough not to slide around on the counter.
But then I recently traded in my large pickup truck with a Hemi engine because I realized I just didn't need something that big or with that much gas guzzling hp. To each their own.
That's the type of slicer I have, too. It was disappointing at first, after my experience with the 8 ton slicers in restaurants, I soon learned to use it and it works like a charm.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would look for a balde that could be sharpened, this will give you the option to slice very thin. Powerful motor would also be a plus.

If you are only looking to slice bacon once a month, then you likely don't need something more expensive, but if you think that you might use it for other things later on, get something better.

Full disclosure, I'm someone that works with commercial slicers every day.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Check out a restaurant supply. I doubt a good deli slicer can be had for $100 or so and it will weigh a ton and it's no easy job to clean the thing. We have a Rival slicer and it works pretty good but I've not tried to slice bacon with it. Also, the motor comes off and all parts go into the dishwasher.