"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
Cook

Dry Ice, because it is so much colder than water ice, contracts the metal and pops the dent out way, it depends on the dent as to whether it can be successful or not. Paint-less dent removal is done by getting behind the dent and using small picks and tools to slowly work the dent out of the metal to a point where it is invisible. The problem that you run into is that even though metal feels solid, it still stretches when hit and deformed or dented with another solid object. There are only three or four ways that you can shrink the metal back to it's original size. The way that is used the most is with a specially shaped hammer, aptly named a "shrinking hammer" and another tool named a "shrinking dolly". You hold one behind the metal and strike the metal with the hammer and because of the specially shaped indentations from the special tools the metal contracts and "shrinks". There are other more specialized tools, but none of them will work in this problem, because if you can not get behind it, you really only have a couple of options, both of which have been recommended.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

Some small dents can be popped back out using heat and a suction cup. This involves tools that you may never use again and are most commonly found in auto repair shops so probably not cost effective.
You could always call the manufacturer and see if you can use the dry ice method...

Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I was thinking suction cup. May work as long as the dent does not extend into a bend.

Otherwise, just let it be, pretty soon you won't even notice it anymore. It will only bother you when you see it (like the first door ding on a car).
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
Head Chef

Just think of the dent and scratches as character!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone. I will contact KitchenAid tomorrow.
If I can't fix it, only I will know it's there. That's the problem, I will know it's there!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Senior Cook

The dry ice method removed most of the dent. All that remains is a slight crease. Since this can only be seen if the right door is open or the freezer is pulled out, I'm not going to worry about it.