"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Dented Refrigerator

I dropped something and put a dent on the top of the freezer door on my new French Door Refrigerator. You can't see the dent when the top door is closed, but there it is when I open the refrigerator door.
Is there anything I can do to remove the dent?
If I called for service, can they do it, or do they just do mechanical things?
This is a KitchenAid 3 door in black.
Can someone give me some help?

Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Master Chef
Is the dent causing air from the freezer to escape? As far as I know fixing it would mean having to take the door off then take it apart so you can bang out the metal. On some you can do that, but on a lot you can't so it would mean a repair call and as far as I know they would probably suggest living with it if the seal is not broken when it closes or getting a new door.
I guess you would have to look at the door and see if the inside molding is removable or the outside metal is removable.

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
In the good old days, a repairman would take the door apart and hammer out the dent from the inside. Now, they would replace the whole door. I imagine that's not covered by warranty and quite expensive.

It's clear (and understandable) you don't want to live with the dent. Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Miss Essie - I just looked at mine (Not a KIitchenAid) It seems that the front section of the freezer door is one piece - It would probably cost big $$$$ to replace. Rather than calling for service, and paying for a service call - Go to the dealer who sold you the refrigerator and ask them what they think can be done. Outside of replacement, I don't "think" anything......
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
It would be difficult to completely take it out without replacement of the door. I would be concerned about damaging the door gasket and or alignment of the door. If, and that's a really big if, you can remove the gasket in that area(most are glued now and very easy to tear ) you could try a very stiff putty knife or wide screwdriver on the inside of the dent with a steady pressure against the back of the dent and perhaps lessen the dent somewhat, if the metal is only dented. If there is any damage to the metal such as gouging or a stretch mark where something hit it, you wouldn't be able to fix that without replacement. If you know anyone that does paint and body work, they might be able to offer you some insight.

Myself, I'd just learn to live with it.
Grillncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Master Chef
Ours is a Frigidaire, with the brushed stainless steel doors. When I opened it and looked at the doors, I could see they had stamped the metal around the inside molding, then on the corners used what looks like a flush rivet to make sure it is solid.
No way that is coming apart...
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Senior Cook
I guess I'll just ignore it. As I said before, it doesn't show when the refrigerator is closed, just when the right door is open.
I'll consider it a beauty mark.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I do not know if his can be done on your fridge. There is a process called paitless dent removal that can be done on some dents in cars. If you look in the phone book or Google for Paitless dent removal and call them they can tell you if it can be done.

Hope this Helps

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Master Chef
An alternative answer...

You can do what I have learned to do over the years. Accept the bumps and dents as part of life.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Senior Cook
I just watched a video using dry ice to remove a dent on a car. Does anyone know if that would work on a refrigerator or would it make the problem worse?