Dented Refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
I dropped something and put a dent on the top of the freezer door on my new French Door Refrigerator. You can't see the dent when the top door is closed, but there it is when I open the refrigerator door.
Is there anything I can do to remove the dent?
If I called for service, can they do it, or do they just do mechanical things?
This is a KitchenAid 3 door in black.
Can someone give me some help?

Is the dent causing air from the freezer to escape? As far as I know fixing it would mean having to take the door off then take it apart so you can bang out the metal. On some you can do that, but on a lot you can't so it would mean a repair call and as far as I know they would probably suggest living with it if the seal is not broken when it closes or getting a new door.
I guess you would have to look at the door and see if the inside molding is removable or the outside metal is removable.

In the good old days, a repairman would take the door apart and hammer out the dent from the inside. Now, they would replace the whole door. I imagine that's not covered by warranty and quite expensive.

It's clear (and understandable) you don't want to live with the dent. Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea.

Miss Essie - I just looked at mine (Not a KIitchenAid) It seems that the front section of the freezer door is one piece - It would probably cost big $$$$ to replace. Rather than calling for service, and paying for a service call - Go to the dealer who sold you the refrigerator and ask them what they think can be done. Outside of replacement, I don't "think" anything......

It would be difficult to completely take it out without replacement of the door. I would be concerned about damaging the door gasket and or alignment of the door. If, and that's a really big if, you can remove the gasket in that area(most are glued now and very easy to tear ) you could try a very stiff putty knife or wide screwdriver on the inside of the dent with a steady pressure against the back of the dent and perhaps lessen the dent somewhat, if the metal is only dented. If there is any damage to the metal such as gouging or a stretch mark where something hit it, you wouldn't be able to fix that without replacement. If you know anyone that does paint and body work, they might be able to offer you some insight.

Myself, I'd just learn to live with it.

Ours is a Frigidaire, with the brushed stainless steel doors. When I opened it and looked at the doors, I could see they had stamped the metal around the inside molding, then on the corners used what looks like a flush rivet to make sure it is solid.
No way that is coming apart...

I guess I'll just ignore it. As I said before, it doesn't show when the refrigerator is closed, just when the right door is open.
I'll consider it a beauty mark.
Thanks for the help.

I do not know if his can be done on your fridge. There is a process called paitless dent removal that can be done on some dents in cars. If you look in the phone book or Google for Paitless dent removal and call them they can tell you if it can be done.

Hope this Helps

AC

I just watched a video using dry ice to remove a dent on a car. Does anyone know if that would work on a refrigerator or would it make the problem worse?

Dry Ice, because it is so much colder than water ice, contracts the metal and pops the dent out way, it depends on the dent as to whether it can be successful or not. Paint-less dent removal is done by getting behind the dent and using small picks and tools to slowly work the dent out of the metal to a point where it is invisible. The problem that you run into is that even though metal feels solid, it still stretches when hit and deformed or dented with another solid object. There are only three or four ways that you can shrink the metal back to it's original size. The way that is used the most is with a specially shaped hammer, aptly named a "shrinking hammer" and another tool named a "shrinking dolly". You hold one behind the metal and strike the metal with the hammer and because of the specially shaped indentations from the special tools the metal contracts and "shrinks". There are other more specialized tools, but none of them will work in this problem, because if you can not get behind it, you really only have a couple of options, both of which have been recommended.

Some small dents can be popped back out using heat and a suction cup. This involves tools that you may never use again and are most commonly found in auto repair shops so probably not cost effective.
You could always call the manufacturer and see if you can use the dry ice method...

I was thinking suction cup. May work as long as the dent does not extend into a bend.

Otherwise, just let it be, pretty soon you won't even notice it anymore. It will only bother you when you see it (like the first door ding on a car).

Thanks everyone. I will contact KitchenAid tomorrow.
If I can't fix it, only I will know it's there. That's the problem, I will know it's there!!!

The dry ice method removed most of the dent. All that remains is a slight crease. Since this can only be seen if the right door is open or the freezer is pulled out, I'm not going to worry about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom