"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lady View Post
Kitchenelf, I enjoyed "visiting" your dream kitchen. You do have a great imagination! Pardon me if I ask, what are (or is) cruvenet? (I thought I knew it all!)
Picture of cruvinet here. Sorry, I spelled it wrong. Each one of those "wands" gets placed into an open wine bottle and they pump nitrogen into the wine to keep them fresher for longer. Then you just pour through the tap. They certainly won't keep them forever but they stand a MUCH better shot at lasting 5-7 days or so.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My fantasy kitchen would be one with a locking grate across the entrance, like the stores in the mall have, so no one could come in and annoy me with stupid questions while I am cooking!

Other than that, I'd really like a stove with a foot operated "dragon's breath" burner accelerator, like you see in Chinese restaurants.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

My dream kitchen is a take on a restaurant kitchen (but then, I work in one, so I know what I like). Tile floors, with drains in the floors for easy cleaning. Stainless steel counters, again for easy cleaning. A huge refrigerator/freezer. Two ranges, one electric, one gas. A good dishwasher. Wrought Iron rack for hanging pots, pans, and some utensils.

I'm debating on whether I would want some professional equipment, like a Hobart 5-qt mixer, a buffalo chopper, and a slicer. How often will I actually use them? Especially since I have access to a slicer at work, I can just cook a large roast at home, take to to work, slice it on my own time, then bring it home?

The pantry would be a good-sized room off to the side, with hookups for one, maybe two deep-freezers. Lots and shelving.

There would also be a doorway leading out to the back patio, where my grill/smoker would be, for cookouts.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm with Allen, working in a restaurant kitchen, I've really grown to like that sort of setup. I'd like 6-8 burners, all gas, with just a single wide oven under the stove. I'm torn on whether or not I'd like to get high-end consumer stove like a Viking or Wolf, or restaurant grade stove/oven, a Garland probably, because the Vulcan stoves I've worked on dont have as much heat output. Of course if I got restaurant grade appliances, I'd need a to get a proper hood installed.

I'd like my kitchen to be large and and slightly rectangular, with wide counters, probably something that could withstand having hot pans placed directly on them, meaning SS or maybe marble? I'd like a long, wide rectangular island, with shelves undeneath where I could keep small appliances, lexands/tupperwares/ and maybe some dry goods, probably baking stuff. I'd like the top of it to be all wood; my giant cutting board.

Across the kitchen from the stove, I'd like to have a large refrigerator, and also a large freezer. I'd like my pantry to be on that end of the kicthen as well, and probably a speed rack where I could keep my large cutting boards and sheet pans, and resting racks. I might like a convection oven over there somewhere as well.

I'd like a deep, SS triple sink next to my dishwasher. I'd love a grill next to my stove for grilled items in the winter, and maybe a single Frialator embedded in the counter next to that. I'd like a small closet next to that for additional equipment, a place to hang large pots and pans, and maybe have a knife strip on the wall.

I've considered going so far as having a cold deck where I can keep all my staples. I don't know what those are really called, but it basically just a shallow, wide refrigeration unit that opens from the top and you can keep lots of 1/3rd or 1/9th pans full of staples that you use all the time. It would be so convenient, but I thing a lot of the stuff would go bad before I could use it all, much as I'd like to always have chopped scallions, butter, shredded cheese, chicken/duck/veal glace, tomatoes, and maybe some chopped herbs and chives.

I could throw in all the design and architectual details like kitchenelf did, but I think I might keep you here all day, not to mention taking all day to write it up, and I have to be at work soon. Some day though, I plan to have a dream kitchen.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Picture of cruvinet here. Sorry, I spelled it wrong. Each one of those "wands" gets placed into an open wine bottle and they pump nitrogen into the wine to keep them fresher for longer. Then you just pour through the tap. They certainly won't keep them forever but they stand a MUCH better shot at lasting 5-7 days or so.
Next, I expect to see you wearing a hat with two wine bottles attached and a plastic tube running to your mouth!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Next, I expect to see you wearing a hat with two wine bottles attached and a plastic tube running to your mouth!
That would be fantasy clothing Actually, if there was a way to keep the camel backs (bikers and runners know what I'm talking about) chilled.........

College Cook - working in a kitchen has lead me to have this in my personal kitchen - I certainly understand!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Imagine the local Super Market closed at night with only you in there and your friends.

drag a large BBQ from one aisle and the coals take it to the Bakery section, everything in the shop is Yours to use...

get the Picture :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
My fantasy kitchen would be one with a locking grate across the entrance, like the stores in the mall have, so no one could come in and annoy me with stupid questions while I am cooking!

Other than that, I'd really like a stove with a foot operated "dragon's breath" burner accelerator, like you see in Chinese restaurants.
Oh geez, now I need to run down to our local Chinese restaurant and ask them to show me DRAGON'S BREATH. LOL
Old 08-31-2007, 03:01 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
That would be fantasy clothing Actually, if there was a way to keep the camel backs (bikers and runners know what I'm talking about) chilled.........

College Cook - working in a kitchen has lead me to have this in my personal kitchen - I certainly understand!
OO OO OOOOOOOOO

I like that Kitchenelf!!!! Where did you get that? Was it terribly expensive? That is just what I need in the kitchen, maybe even 2 of them. :-)
Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina

Only a Pedini kitchen with all chrome appliances. Dream...dream...dream

P.S.