"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Ugh, spices, I think I need a pantry just for spices. I have way too many. :-)

I vote we go to KE's kitchen. :-)

Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

I just really have so many more spices, extracts and concentrated flavored oils than I have room for them, that I have to nearly take everything off the shelves to get to what I want to use at any given time. I'm in bad need of a complete kitchen/pantry make over. Yes, let's go to KE's, I'm all for that!!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestobake View Post
I just really have so many more spices, extracts and concentrated flavored oils than I have room for them, that I have to nearly take everything off the shelves to get to what I want to use at any given time. I'm in bad need of a complete kitchen/pantry make over. Yes, let's go to KE's, I'm all for that!!

LOL But is KE up to it?? !!!!

I talked my husband into the pantry thing that KE has, just a matter of getting the time to get it now. :-)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #54
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie View Post
LOL But is KE up to it?? !!!!

I talked my husband into the pantry thing that KE has, just a matter of getting the time to get it now. :-)
Oh my! That's an excellent question. Did she invite us, or did we invite ourselves? I've lost track by now, but I think she originally invited us, and we were going to bring along some treat to go with tea or coffee, along with some good garden strolling music, but that was in her fantasy, so that may not count. Time, yes, time to do things is a problem, but I like that pantry idea.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Everyone is ALWAYS invited!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Ah!Yes the old not enough space for spices,vinegars etc problem I have tried everything to make them more accessable nothing works so I store all the whole spices needed for Indian food in the laundry room on a rack on the back of door.My dream kitchen would definatley include a huge spice cabinet maybe with some sort of gigantic revolving spice rack right next to the stove and prep area.My other dilemma is do I store alphabetically or by herbs and then spices then the vinegars.I dont mind storing oils some where else close by.As much as I try I cant keep it all organized as much as I like due to lack of space.I would also love a huge walk in pantry I have a big pantry closet but things get a bit tight in there
Old 09-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

Oh, I forgot about all the different kinds of vinegars I have, and right now, I store those along with the cooking oils, but the other concentrated oils for flavoring baking etc., such as lemon, lime, peanut butter, coconut, peach and others in 1 oz. bottles that are used with a medicine dropper by the drop, I store with the extracts. I just have accumulated so many different things to use to flavor, and yes it's nice, but it would be a lot more convenient if it were more organized with more of a space to organize it.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 AM   #58
Sous Chef

I basically have anything flavor or color-wise in the same area, spices, extracts, vinegars, and oil. I didn't, mind you, say that it was well-stored. LoL I'm wondering if I could get everything stored PROPERLY, if I could put a lock on the kitchen door and not allow anyone to mess up my nicely organized storage. Yea right, like the family would allow me to do that. hehe

Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #59
Sous Chef

You all got sick of fantacizing, huh? LOL

Do any of you watch Rachael Ray, this year's 30-minute meals? They redid the kitchen and she has this cupboard(?) that she pulls out. It's very tall, and I would say that it is cabinet-wide, but I'm not sure. This looks like it would be a great pantry for people that just don't have a seperate room for a pantry. One shelf of this pull out pantry could totally be devoted to my spices, vinegars and oils.

You know, the only thing wrong with fantacizing is that you get sad that you can't have it all !!!! lol
Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Mine is always one of those stainless steel and white enamel (with red accents) Kitchens of the Future from technicolor featurettes of the 1030s they show on TCM -- with all the modular stuff that turns inside out and upside down and does tricks. I would like to adapt one of those to hide small appliances and make them swivel out of the wall already plugged in. I guess I'm just Ming the Merciless at heart.