"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Executive Chef

YES, YES, You will not be sorry!!

I was about 45 years old when I got my first dishmachine and I do not know how I operated "before DW". For me, they save time, time and more time. They get dishes very clean with minimal pre-rinsing. And water conservation is an issue at my house. My machine does the whole shebang with 7 gallons of water, which is less, I think, than what I could do with hand washing. If possible, run the machine in the evening and crack the door to air dry just before you retire, to save the shins. I run at least one load of dishes each day, two loads a day if I am in the kitchen cooking/baking, and occassionally three loads a day when we have overnight guests.

I truely say a prayer of thanks as I unload each load of clean dishes, to the effect of being grateful that here is yet another load of dishes that I did not have to wash by hand. The milking equipment takes up 25% of the machine space and I wash countless quart canning jars, so I generate a lot of stuff that goes in the dishmachine.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I was without my dishwasher once, when I was waiting for my new one to arrive...I felt like Scarlet O'Hara. With my fist to the sky, I swore I'd never be without a dishwasher again.

I usually wash my pots and pans as I go along but never hesitate to put them in the DW if I have room.

I wash the 'good' china in it but I always hand wash the crystal.

edited: I turn off my hot dry also. I let mine air dry to save energy.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks everyone for more inputs!! (inpuuut, inpuuuut... oh no I am not #5, so please don't disassemble me!! )

Thanks Bucky for the info about non stick cookware, that is good to know... as you mentioned I would also take care of our wine glasses and cast iron ware personally as well.
Water consumption is also a good point, 7 gallons for 1 whole load is quite amazing!

For a couple of extreme foodies count for much more than average daily consumption of 2 people very often and I am sure, provided the machine is functional, would save me a lot of work. I am a wash as I go kind of person, too, but as my hands are too sensitive for detergents I must use rubber gloves to do the washing, having to putting them on and off while doing other things at the same time complicates the matter a bit more.

I am going to take notes of all the suggestions for our up coming quest for the perfect dishwasher!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Modern washers have food grinders in them to pulverize food bits so they can be washed down the drain. So you don't have to clean the plates at all.

There is an ad on TV here where a woman makes and frosts an angel food cake then dumps the whole thing into the dishwasher - plate, cake and frosting. Of course, the only thing left in the machine when she opens it is a shiny clean plate.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Another thing for your list - buy a quiet dw. Some barely hum now.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I didn't have a dishwasher in college and got by ok. Now that I own a home and cook constantly, I can't imagine being without a dishwasher. We have a newer model (2002) and really don't have trouble with dishes coming out dirty, etc.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

The dishwasher I want (but will not be getting because of cost) is actually split into two. You can basically skip putting the dishes away in the cabinets this way. One clean one side and then as you dirty the dishes you move them to the other side (actually it is top and bottom). One part always remains clean while the other is always dirty. When you fill up the dirty side then you run the wash and the sides switch.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #18
Executive Chef

That is so funny GB. My dream was to have 2 dishwashers instead of cabinets. Back and forth...a great idea. This was back in the late 80s.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a picture in case anyone wants to see.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I just emailed that link to Cris at work... he's gonna like that!!