"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

From what I know, it is an exacellent quality product. For the price, it had better be.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
So, I would like some second opinion from the folks who are accustomed to using the dishwashers, and see how they can be helpful or not. Will it be a good investment that would make your life somewhat easier, or things hasn't been changed at all from the days I battled with the stuff? Any input will be greatly appreciated!
TIA!!
urmaniac, taking things verbatim, I would be led to believe that you are interested to hear only from those who use dishwashers. In such a case, what would you expect them to tell you? Not to buy one?

On the other hand, since "any input will be greatly appreciated," let me side with Nicholas Mosher by stating that I consider dishwashers a total waste of space, money and time. If there could ever be a white elephant in one's kitchen, this is it! Even in our restaurant days, I found it preferable to have the dishes and especially glasses handwashed for best results. The basic disadvantages of dishwashing machines have been already mentioned by others. For me, the worst disadvantages are prewashing, having to wait until the machine is full in order to run it, having to wipe if you don't want to wait forever for things to dry, having to wash pots and pans by hand anyway, and pay a lot for energy consumption on top of the cost of the machine.

I also agree that being able to wash dishes etc, as I get them dirty and being able to reuse them soon is a definite advantage. Besides, only by handwashing I will be sure that I need to do the washing once and to my absolute satisfaction.

As for the "will it be a good investment," have no misunderstandings. No matter how you slice it, it is an expenditure of money which will beget further daily expenditure. Do you really think that any kitchen appliance would ever bring in some sort of return to qualify it for an investment?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Here is a picture in case anyone wants to see.

OK, so you have two half size dishwashers...

What happens if you fill the dirty side before you empty the clean side?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

Why, go for a third dishwasher of course!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

The you wash the dirty side and move the stuff in the clean side to the cabinets.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
Sous Chef

We have a KA dishwasher that is now12 years old. You can stand next to it and almost not know it is running.
It is an enamel steel interior (I recommend SS) and it costs about $350--even now. You don't have to break the bank.
We are only two at home and I may wash dishes every other day, depending on what kind of cooking I've been doing.
Anodized cookware cannot be put in the DW. Most SS can.
I put my fine china in (with a gold rim) but cut the dish soap 'way down. Dishwasher soap is VERY strong. If any of your china is the type that does not have a glaze over the design (some or most antique china is this) do not put in DW.
Etching glass has more to do with water hardness. None of our glasses are, but my sister's are. She has to drastically soften their water.
For me, a DW is an incredible time saver. We had 30 for dinner the other day. That is a LOT of glassware to wash and dry by hand. Plates, silverware. It took a couple of loads, but I could go watch the football game while I was waiting.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

urm, most newer models do run quietly, but even a quiet machine can be noisy, depending on the way it is installed.

if not levelled and anchored properly, they can be annoying buzz boxes. be very careful to have one installed correctly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #28
Master Chef

I will jump in here.... my 10 cents for anyone who cares. I own a dishwasher and I find myself more and more washing dishes by hand. My dishwasher is about 5 years old and I have already had to replace the handle on it because it broke off. (I did this myself because they wanted to charge me an $80 service call just to come out and replace a $8 part!!)

As others have stated, I wash all pots, pans, bake ware, and a few other items by hand. Dishwashers just ruin that stuff!!!! Now, I am finding myself handwashing all my glass ware because everytime I wash them in the dishwasher, they end up with grit and grime in the bottom of the glasses. I even run my dishwasher on a rinse cycle empty to help prevent this, but it never seems to work.

Maybe I got a lemon... I just don't know. But it is noisey, does not clean very well, and really expected a bit more for a "middle of the line" dishwasher. I guess the thing is, if I never got another dishwasher, what would I use that space for?????

If you would ask me if I would get a dishwaser, I would have to decline at the moment!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
I guess the thing is, if I never got another dishwasher, what would I use that space for?????

If you would ask me if I would get a dishwaser, I would have to decline at the moment!!!
How about a litter box for the kitty? Perhaps a mini shoe rack? Or maybe a home for an iguana?

As for "declining," it's perhaps a good investment after all!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hmm, so I am not the only one with bad experiences with dishwasher! Now I have something more to consider that I am seeing some "con" views. Maybe we will pay more attention to user reviews when we look around for one, to get some firsthand opinions of certain makes and models...