"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Hmm, so I am not the only one with bad experiences with dishwasher! Now I have something more to consider that I am seeing some "con" views. Maybe we will pay more attention to user reviews when we look around for one, to get some firsthand opinions of certain makes and models...
What brands will you look at in your town? I know a site that has some pretty good reviews of Miele and Bosch.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #32
Sous Chef

urmaniac13, YES you should have a dishwasher. I would recommend Kitchen Aid. Have had the same one for many, many years. No problems. You may choose not to use it daily. If you need to use it (and you will) you want a
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher (one will do).

Old 12-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Miele and Bosch are both under consideration we will take further look on their reviews..., also Krupps and Meplan seem to carry some decent models at reasonable price. Still there are other choices, we are planning to have a visit to a shop in an industrial zone of Rome where they specializes in equipment for restaurants and catering and check on some items first hand.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #34
Head Chef

Here's my pennysworth: I insisted, being the cook and the main bottle washer by default rather than design, that we would have a dishwasher. One was bought and really I have to say it has made a lot of difference to our lives. Sounds an exaggeration but... I cook with no concern for how much washing up I create, we don't argue about the washing up any more and hence I get less niggled about other grievances (every couple has them, admit it), we have more time for doing other things and we even use less water than before.

If you can find it, use gel or liquid rather than the tablets or powder detergents. Gel is far less abrasive. And if you can find them, use the funny triangle "protectors" as they're called here in Spain rather than tablets that are supposed to incorporate a glass protector. I find the so-called advanced tablets are much worse than gel with "protector". I put our finest glass (Villeroy Bosch glasses) in the dishwasher with gel and protector. So far I've never had a glass go milky with these products and we break far fewer glasses anyway than we would if we washed them up and dried them by hand.

I hardly ever pre-rinse, only the crustiest of dishes. I agree about not putting non-stick stuff in a dishwasher. You'll probably find things in the top rack receive a gentler wash than the bottom rack, so arrange things accordingly.

Keep the filter clean and you'll keep the pump running quietly and the dishes cleaner.

As a final comment, we're moving somewhere in the next few months with no electricity, let alone a kitchen. My partner said the other day, "I'll really miss the dishwasher", so it must be good.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #35
Executive Chef

I own a Maytag portable dishwasher - had it for over 6 years and it has done very well by me.

And I've always used Cascade detergent. It powers off stubborn food residue with no problems! Also, I've used either jet Dry or Cascade rinse agent for the final rinse.

The filter is self-cleaning, so there's no need to clean it manually. And it's also very quiet. Prerinsing is a thing of the past! I also like the fact that it can be set to heat the main wash and final rinse to wash and sanitise the dishes better!!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #36
Head Chef

Love mine!
It's a Kenmore model from Sears that I've had for about 10 years now.
I've never had any mechanical problems or kitchen disasters with it, but it is a bit loud. When it bites the dust, I'll make sure that I purchase a quieter model.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:39 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I believe that they are ALL made to operate quieter these days.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Have lived with and without a dishwasher and I must say, life is much more comvenient and easier with one. Our current one is a Jenn-Air that we lucked out with at a local thrift store for $15. After calling the company for an operator's manual, we learned - using serial number - that the machine had been a floor model in an appliance store, so it'd had little or no use. Lucky us.

At any rate, it's been a champ and does a wonderful job. Even though it's just Buck and me here, it's still a great help. As others have said, with a heat dry, it also has the option of air drying to save energy.

I never put our "good" china or glassware in it because most of those pieces are antiques. Any dishwasher wouldn't be good for them. I also don't put my cookware and kitchen knives in the dishwasher. Just not good for them either.

As for not having one, that time was a challenge. Whenever we had company or served a multiple-course meal, there were many plates, cups, bowls, serving pieces, etc. that had to be washed. Then there was the silverware and glassware. I'm not including any of the pots, pans, dishes, and utensils used to prepare the meal. I religiously wash as I go, so there's usually little or nothing of those items to worry about by the time the meal is served. However, washing all the dishes by hand after the meal was tiresome and time consuming.

Wouldn't be without a dishwasher. Now...haven't had a garbage disposal in nearly 13 years and haven't missed it once.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #39
Head Chef

As usual, I'm the odd man out.

I don't even know if mine works because I've only used it for storage.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I believe that they are ALL made to operate quieter these days.
I hope they are Corey,
I live in a rather small home where the kitchen/dining and living area are all contained in a 24'x28' space. When I start the dishwasher, the TV or stereo level must increase rather dramatically to heard