"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #51
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I didn't have time to read all the posts but one important feature with diswashers is the increased germ killing ability of it. In restaurants dishes done manually go through a 4 step process:

1. Rinse off large pieces
2. Wash in hot soapy water
3. Rinse in clean hot water
4. Rinse in a sanitizing bath which can be quatenary (sp?) or iodine based and then allowed to air dry.

I don't know how many houses are actually set up with 3 compartment sinks. There have been many accounts of food born illness from a washing sponge or drying towel being contaminated unknowingly and then being used to do the dishes. This being said I do hand wash all my wine glasses, cutlery and pans. The rest goes to the dishwasher.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #52
Executive Chef
The problem with that, I found out also, is not only the germs that you might be dealing with, but also, lint on the glasses from the towel itself.

And since the dish rack is near the sink (most of them usually are) there is also the problem of spotting, especially on glasses. This comes from splashing running water from the faucet that would cause me to have to wash them all over again, so to eliminate that altogether, I just wash them in the machine.

Stainless steel can also spot! So, after washing any of the stainless steel cookware, I dry it with an impeckably clean towel to keep germs at bay.

Then on laundry day, all of the towels get washed and dried to further stop the onset of any bacteria.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
has anyone ever poached a whole large fish, like a salmon, in a dishwasher?

i've read that it is possible due to the hot water and drying elements, but i'm not sure if it would really work, or if i'd even want to try.
would the fish get blasted apart?
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #54
Chief Eating Officer
That is done on the top rack and the fish is wrapped in a couple of layers of heavy duty foil bucky. I have not tried it myself (why bother? More effort than cooking in normal ways), but I have seen it done on TV and it did work. Of course TV does not always mirror reality.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #55
Executive Chef
I got my first dishwasher just before my second child was born and he is 40 years old today. The only time I didn't use mine was when my kids were growing up and we needed to talk things over. I've never found anything that is as effective at getting to a problem as being elbow deep in dish suds. I used it with both of them. My dd would sometimes tell me, "Mom, we need to do the dishes". I knew she needed to talk about something she was concerned about. I used it with my gd when she lived with us for 3 years also. Some things are easier to talk about when doing menial tasks together.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #56
Sous Chef
There are only two of us in the house and we love our dishwasher! I wouldn't want to be without one. I don't like the look of dirty dishes in a sink, and I don't want to stop and wash each time I use a glass or a bowl, so I think they're worth the space they take up without question. It clears the sink where the dirty dishes sit, and it also clears the counter of a dish drainer. It actually buys space if you ask me.

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #57
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Okay, here comes my two cents worth - I love my dishwasher and wouldn't consider a place to live unless it had one - just for the sanitary point of view. Urmaniac, like you, we are redoing our kitchen - all new appliances. I am anal, I research the heck out of everything - including dishwashers. American dishwashers have food grinders in the bottom, making rinsing dishes a thing of the past. European pipes can't have food in them (I don't know why) and that is why those machines like Miele and Bosch have filters in the bottom. I have heard from several sales people as well as online opinions and consumer reports that Bosch and Miele are some of the best dishwashers - I won't buy one because I don't want to clean the filter, but you will have to clean the filter no matter what - so I would look into those. As far as the Fischer Paykel Drawer GB was talking about - we really really considered this. Again, research, research research -- the people that like them the most had no more than 2 adults living in the home and did not cook alot. The tubs are a bit smaller, mostly shorter, so you are limited to how high something can be, ie, cookie sheet. The nice thing is you can wash one drawer at a time - however, from what I have heard, they don't hold much. It would be nice if you could have two drawers then another single drawer in an island or something. As far as Kitchen Aid - I was told they were the first dishwasher and always made a fantastic product. KA has recently been bought by Amana, as well as several other brands. In the past couple years KA's quality and customer service has gone done. Again, I have heard problems from a family member who purchased KA two years ago, a man who's kitchen we went to see after being newly remodeled by the contractor we hired, and the wholesale sales woman who just got one from her daughter. SHe said her KA sales rep was even complaining. To compensate, I think, KA's most recent promotion is a free 4-year service warranty. I really wanted the new 3-rack KA but after hearing what I had, finding the same comments online and seeing that the steam vent is under the counter, we opted for the newest GE profile. My recommendations for any dishwasher you get - tall tub (goes almost to the floor making more space inside), stainless inside, tines that can fold all the way down for larger items, adjustable top rack (lowers for taller items like wine glasses and raises for taller items on bottom rack like cookie sheets), lots of sprayers (some of extra sprays across the back). There are some items I do not put in the dw-my stainless cookwear and my knives. I don't have much non-stick but I usually throw it in because they are so cheap to replace-I really don't use them that often though, so they don't see the dw that much. Final recommendation: get the dishwasher!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #58
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by GB
That is done on the top rack and the fish is wrapped in a couple of layers of heavy duty foil bucky. I have not tried it myself (why bother? More effort than cooking in normal ways), but I have seen it done on TV and it did work. Of course TV does not always mirror reality.

I heard of that also, but I don't think I'd want to try it.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote