Dishwasher Recall!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Hi, everyone!

I'm writing this thread to let you know that a recall has begun on certain models of Maytag and Jenn-Air dishwashers made in recent years.

These machines in model and serial numbers go as far back as 5 to 6 years old. The problem is a simple one that can be recitified. It involves the rinse agent dispenser, which the Maytag Co. says can leak the fliud, dripping some of it onto wire connections and causing a short in the wiring and worst yet, it may create a fire harzard!

The model numbers beging with the letters and numbers MDB3 to MDB8D and MDC3, MDC4, MDC5 and DWU9. The serial numbers end with a bunch of letters in upper case such as SM, SQ, SS, SU, SW, up to YZ.

My model, which is MDC4100AWX, a portable machine, is affected by this recall.

The Jenn-Air models are JDB3, JDB4, JDB5, JDB6 and JDB7. The serial numbers end with UB, UD, UF, UH, UM, UQ, all the way up to YZ.

Maytag is offering owners of these affected machines two choices;

1. You can have your machine in question repaired at no cost to you. Maytag will send out the new rinse agent dispenser to your door. You call Maytag to arrange for a repairman to come out and replace the part.

2. You can opt to buy a new Maytag or Jenn-Air machine and get a $75.00
rebate.

I chose to have my machine repaired. The toll-free number is 1-800-675-0535. The notice appears in the March 9, 2007 Sunday USA Weekend paper.
A smiling baby appears on the front cover.

When you call the number given, you will be instructed by the rep to shut down your machine by disconnecting the electrical power to it, turn off the water supply and do not use it until it is repaired.

All of the models have white plastic tubs and inner doors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up.
I have a Whirlpool..... but it seems like when I bought a new washer last week I was told Whirlpool and Maytag are made by the same company. Something to that effect because I told the salesman I did NOT want to buy a Maytag due to the crappy refridgerator I have. I don't use the rinse anymore anyway. I use Electrosol tablets with the built in rinse balls.

I've always wondered how you know if everything is working correctly to begin with? My dishwasher, about 5 yrs old, doesn't clean as well as it used to using the same soap and settings..... How do you know those arms are still spinning around or the water coming out with the same force?

Yes you're right, Whirlpool DOES own Maytag now.

But the affected dishwasher models, I think, were made long before Whirlpool had aquired Maytag.

My next dishwasher, if this one ever craps outs and can't be repaired, or is too expensive to repair, will be a Whirlpool or a Kenmore.

Your machine's problems with getting your dishes clean could be stemming from clogged nozzles as well.

The way to tell if the wash arms are spinning is to let the machine run for a few seconds, then open the door quickly. If you notice the wash arms just coming to a stop, then chances are that they are rotating.

Last edited:
My next one..... and I'm not up on appliances enough to know this..... will have a glass front on it if available. I want to see if it's working :ermm:

Corey123 said:
You can have your machine in question repaired at no cost to you. Maytag will send out the new rinse agent dispenser to your door. You call Maytag to arrange for a repairman to come out and replace the part.

Didn't the Maytag repairman die? Who would they send, then?

Yes, the last two originals have died; Jesse White and Gordon Jump.

And they are still using Jump in the ads. There IS a new man with which a little boy sometimes appears with him in the ads.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
So sorry to discourage you, but I don't think they're made like that.:ermm:

Only front-loading clothes washers.

I figure it's just a matter of time, unless they may be too noisy.

I've seen demonstrator models with glass fronts, but then I saw a 2001 Mercury Cougar with a clear plexiglas hood on display in the Metreon in San Francisco, but could never find one for MY Cougar.

sattie said:
Thanks Corey... so happens I have a MDB3 model!!!

You're welcome, Sattie!

Caine, that's because car makers don't sell their cars that way and they wouldn't ever recommend that you do that.

Maytag sometimes has a demo machine in some of the major appliance stores that's made of an all-clear hard plastic tub. You might have seen it.

But it's just for demonstration purposes to show prospective dishwasher buyers the the spray arms and water action and how they work inside the machine.

You definitely wouldn't be able to buy it.

Last edited:
pacanis said:
My next one..... and I'm not up on appliances enough to know this..... will have a glass front on it if available. I want to see if it's working :ermm:

With a glass front you would be able to see the dirty dishes that you put in there before washing. That's almost as bad as seeing a sink full of dirty dishes all the time.

BC

PS - Turns out I have the MDB-3 model. Thanks for the heads up, Corey!

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Trust me, as long as the machine is working good, those dirty dishes WILL get cleaned. Just make sure the water is at least 120 degrees and that you have plenty of detergent in the dispenser.

If your particular machine has a water heat booster for the main wash and one for the final rinse, then so much the better. This will assure hotter water for those two cycles.

Last edited:
The replacement part came over the weekend.

But it consists of a whole new inner door with the detergent and rinse agent
dispensers attached, soundproofing and a web of wiring.

My machine was repaired yesterday with the new parts mentioned above!

Haven't tried it yet since the recall repairs were made, but soon enough, I will. The guy said that there was no evidence of the rinse agent dispenser leaking though.

Back
Top Bottom