Disposal Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
My disposal came w the place. Not sure how old it is. Anyhew, it leaked under the kitchen sink & onto the floor awhile back. The plumber emptied it out (to the tune of about $200), showed me the holes, & told me I need to get a new one. He plugged up a couple of the holes for me w my super strength putty-like stuff. He wanted about $300-$400 to install a new disposal. Yikes. Is that about right? So... I need to buy a new one.

Is there a brand that's pretty good, will any model/brand fit, should I just go ahead w whatever the plumber has? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I installed a new one myself a few years ago and saved alot of money. As for the price he quoted you, you need to find out which disposal he is quoting you, as they can vary in price quite a bit. If you do go with his offer, make sure you get a warranty for parts and labor.

I just installed 2 of them and did a lot of research first. It pays to buy one with the most hp motor. I got InSinkErator brand , both 3/4 hp. I think they also have a 1 hp model. They have models that are extremely quiet too. But basically get the biggest hp model you can.

And I don't know what how handy you are (or want to be) but they are very easy to install. Especially if you already have one and you're just replacing it. The hardest part is holding the unit up while you twist it into place - it's kinda heavy and I recommend an upside down bucket (or a man) underneath to help support the unit during the install. I had never done this before but I watched many of the hundreds of how-to videos on YouTube before hand. If you can get a friend - preferably a man with some upper body strength - you can do this in 30 min to an hour. Mine cost me less than $100/ea and they are awesome.

Hey Amy, I bought and installed one myself about 6 months or so ago. It helps to have a helper, a neighbor or friend, to help hold the thing in place while you attach it to your sink. But it is fairly simple and can be done for lots cheaper than what a plumber would charge you. It took me about an hour overall to deinstall the faulty one and hook up the new one.

Yep. What Fisher's Mom said. Do it youself or have a handy friend do it. I think Kenmore is made by in-sink-erator..... but mine is an in-sink-erator. They've been around a while. Mine has a little bottle of enzymes that snaps in place on it. A shot of enzymes is released every time I turn it on. It supposed to be a good thing if you are using one with a septic system.
But if you know absolutely zero about electricity or breaker switches and are uncomfortable around electric wiring, then it's best to play it safe. So get a handy friend who knows such things.

Mine has a little bottle of enzymes that snaps in place on it. A shot of enzymes is released every time I turn it on. It supposed to be a good thing if you are using one with a septic system.

But if you know absolutely zero about electricity or breaker switches and are uncomfortable around electric wiring, then it's best to play it safe. So get a handy friend who knows such things.
That was the part I was terrified of - the electrical part. I know where the breakers (and fuse boxes) are and know how to shut them off. But when it came to handling wires, I was very nervous. It made all the difference to watch all the videos - hey, nobody died on the ones I saw! But I also had a friend's elderly father there the first time who watched every step and assured me I was doing it correctly. After the first one, the second one was a snap!

I didn't know about the enzymes option! I don't have a septic tank anymore but this is some good info.

We've had 2 Kenmore models and self-installed. It was quite easy.

This model is the one we have now. It's $99, but there are cheaper ones.

$300-400 to install one is pretty outrageous, if you ask me.

All you need is to either be someone handy yourself or, like people say, have another half-handy person to assist.

Thanks guys. Went with jenny's suggestion - ordered it online from Sears - shipping $10 & installation $99. When it comes to plumbing or electrical, I'm clueless. Do appreciate the input - It's a new learning experience.:)

Amy, just unplug it, that is the extent of the electrical system. On mine, (and I assume it is true for all models) I had to detatch the electrical cord from the old system and do some minor electrical work attaching it to the new disposal. But it was fairly easy to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom