Do you name your appliances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO one can never be to careful, so I'm sure in your corner there cave. It's one reason I have nothing at all to do with social media, but that's another kettle of worms for discussion another time.

I'm with you on that and I'm going to discuss it for a bit! :) I have learned never to 'like' someone/anything. I didn't 'friend' anyone after seeing what that can lead to on Facebook! Oh, my. That's why I quit it.

Google Plus is the Devil's Tool. :) And those aren't all.

As I said---- I'd really like to 'like' or 'friend' but it often doesn't just stay there.

I don't know what DC has in place to protect us. Maybe it's safer. But I still don't take many chances.

It may actually be legit. If you google "Mehmet Aydin Mainz" and click on "translate this page" (if you need to translate it.) you can find a research assistant of that name.

It doesn't mean he sent the original message.

Last edited:
We name all of our computers. It just makes it easier when sharing on the LAN. I name my cars. The current one is Sigrid. I have a large food processor, like the one Steve has. I might name it Big Bertha. Oh, and the dishwasher is called the washemupatron. :LOL:

It may actually be legit. If you google "Mehmet Aydin Mainz" and click on "translate this page" (if you need to translate it.) you can find a research assistant of that name.

It doesn't mean he sent the original message.
There is a simlar post on the Gardening Web with replies that are similar to ours and there was a google reference to the "Appliance Blog" which doesn't seem to be there when you look on the blog.

Either it's genuine and the poor man is wasting his time or the hacker is really stupid and deserves to waste his time!

Last edited:
He (Mehmet Mainz) may or may not be real. I still won't participate. :LOL:

Wow, I had no idea people in online forums were THAT suspicious. I mean, sure, I don't go around giving out sensitive data, but if I can't even click on a simple link…

That said, I wasn't forcing anyone to take part, I just thought I'd ask since that might be something people in a cookery forum are interested in sharing.

As to the university throwing money at me: Rest assured that that's not the case. This is a side project I'm doing in my own time for an onomastics conference.

I know that I have no entitlement whatsoever in anyone answering my questionnaire, and it's perfectly alright if you don't want to spend your time on it, but reading this thread just makes me :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and to the few who have actually been discussing the topic in the title: Thank you!:)

A filled out questionnaire would of course be more helpful, because I can ask about very specific things in a structured fashion there, but the discussion is quite interesting, too. Especially if you think that naming objects is odd/weird/silly, because those are the opinions I don't catch with the survey.

Don't take us avoiding that survey personally namemo. Many of us HAVE experienced catching a virus from clicking on or going to a website listed by a first-post member. I know I wasn't able to use my laptop for what seemed forever until it was all cleaned out, checked up, and freshened with even more anti-virus software.

Don't take us avoiding that survey personally namemo. Many of us HAVE experienced catching a virus from clicking on or going to a website listed by a first-post member. I know I wasn't able to use my laptop for what seemed forever until it was all cleaned out, checked up, and freshened with even more anti-virus software.

"Don't take us avoiding that survey personally namemo"

Ditto. I'm sure you have the best of intentions---- but I feel better safe than sorry.

Oh, and to the few who have actually been discussing the topic in the title: Thank you!:)

A filled out questionnaire would of course be more helpful, because I can ask about very specific things in a structured fashion there, but the discussion is quite interesting, too. Especially if you think that naming objects is odd/weird/silly, because those are the opinions I don't catch with the survey.

I'm very surprised you haven't asked those questions on your survey, perhaps you should.

Wow, I had no idea people in online forums were THAT suspicious. I mean, sure, I don't go around giving out sensitive data, but if I can't even click on a simple link…

That said, I wasn't forcing anyone to take part, I just thought I'd ask since that might be something people in a cookery forum are interested in sharing.

As to the university throwing money at me: Rest assured that that's not the case. This is a side project I'm doing in my own time for an onomastics conference.

I know that I have no entitlement whatsoever in anyone answering my questionnaire, and it's perfectly alright if you don't want to spend your time on it, but reading this thread just makes me :(

If you read the Community Rules carefully, you will see that we do not allow surveys posted to the forums. Driving members to another website is frowned upon.

You get a lot of favorable chatter and insight if you just ask us your questions here.

Don't take us avoiding that survey personally namemo.

Not at all! I'm just surprised how many people shy back from clicking on a simple link. I like to think that if you keep your browser up to date, with sensible security settings, and have some decent antivirus/-malware software, that should be fine. Of course if that link then wants to download or install something or the page asks for even remotely sensitive data, that's different.

But that's just my opinion. I won't try to convince you to click anywhere you don't want to :)

I'm very surprised you haven't asked those questions on your survey, perhaps you should.

Yes, there is so much more I could have asked about in the survey, but it's quite long as it is, and if it gets too long, noone will fill it out; after all, they have nothing to gain, they just do it to help me out. So for this talk I'm concetrating on objects that actually do have a name, not on opinions on naming objects.

If you read the Community Rules carefully, you will see that we do not allow surveys posted to the forums. Driving members to another website is frowned upon.

You get a lot of favorable chatter and insight if you just ask us your questions here.

Thanks, Princess. I admit I just skimmed the rules when I signed up. I guess I should read them more carefully in future or at least search them for survey/questionnaire/link.

The chatter is nice and helpful, but it can't replace the structured data I can get in a survey.

Back
Top Bottom