Do you name your appliances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namemo

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am currently researching names given to household and office objects for a study at the University of Mainz, Germany. I only ask about the object's names, not about your names or contact details. (in the field of onomastics).

Many thanks!

Mehmet Aydin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am currently researching names given to household and office objects for a study at the University of Mainz, Germany.

How weird. Does anyone call their food processer "Muriel" or their hairdryer "Florence", or their cooker "Algernon"? And if they do why would it be worth a university wasting time and money doing a survey into it?

The OP's name rings a bell but I can't think why.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never saw the point of naming inanimate objects. After all, they don't come when called so why bother?

Didn't Frank say he names his KA mixers?

I am always fascinated by the fascination Europeans, and people from South Africa also, have with appliances and kitchen items. I agree, you'd think the universities would find something more worthwhile to occupy someone's time.

And Bingo was his name-o

I am always fascinated by the fascination Europeans, and people from South Africa also, have with appliances and kitchen items. I agree, you'd think the universities would find something more worthwhile to occupy someone's time.

And Bingo was his name-o

Yep,I remember there was even a contest here to name it. It's red, but I don't remember the winning name.

And Bingo was his name-o

As long as the checks roll in, I don't think the universities really care what you study! Reminds me of Julia Child when she was asked about a good culinary school, Julia said "They'll all take your money!".

I don't name the things I own.

I had an old friend that called his stove, "Cora the Cooker"!

I wonder if if folks name their stills.
It seems a still ought to have a name.

If I had a still, I might name it Crosby Nash. If I had two, and one was newer, I'd add Young.

Last edited:
Yep,I remember there was even a contest here to name it. It's red, but I don't remember the winning name.

I had the winning name - it is Lucille! My KA is the restaurant model and is a "brute" to move around, so I would just ask TB if he could get "the brute" out for me. Somehow it became Brutus and stuck. Other than that and my van (Levine), I don't usually name things.

When I worked at the camp for four months they had names for all of the appliances, but most of them were just the company names that were on them. The dishwasher was "Jackson", the potato peeler/washer was "Hobart". The Mixers were "Big Bertha", "Little Bertha", and "Mistake" (which was the size of mine). I had no part in these though.

EDIT: Sorry, Kayelle, I didn't see where you linked to the thread. It was great fun!

Last edited:
Filling out a poll from someone who just joined and has no history here --------- not my cup of tea.
I'm sorry.

Who said the rest of us clicked the link to do the survey cave? A while back I didn't click on a link, but when I checked on a website that had been mentioned by a newer poster I opened a new window and entered the website addy manually. Got a nasty virus that Himself spent a few hours eradicating and making sure our system was safe again. Once burned, twice shy.

Besides, you have to admit that some of our answers have been a bit amusing. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom