"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #21
Senior Cook
Depends. Sometimes I read the manuals, somtimes I just leaf through them. I do have a file where I keep all the kitchen stuff together and a file for the rest of the stuff. I don't know if the new owners appreciate it or not, but before I move out of a house I collect all the manuals for the stuff that we're leaving on the kitchen counter.

DMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Senior Cook
What's a manual?

danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #23
Executive Chef
The manuals for office stuff are...somewhere in the office. The manuals for the stuff in the family room are...somewhere in the family room or the office. The manuals for the cars are in the cars. :) The manuals for kitchen stuff are in the kitchen: some in the junk drawer, and some in the little pocket on the side of the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer cover. I can perhaps find them if I need them. NOT in alphabetic order. :)
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
Sous Chef
I've been producing computer manuals for 20 years, so I cannot stand them anymore...
But I keep them all in the same place, safely stored, so when I need something I just need to dig like a madman, cursing all the time, until I found what I need (usually, the last of the pile).
You eat what you are
Luca Lazzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
All the manuals are in a file folder in the file cabinet. As a writer, I am very critical of the manuals. I have returned products because the manual was so poorly written or did not include standard safety statements. If it is poorly written in English, chances are the French is worse. And, if you get rid of the appliance, being able to include the manual is helpful.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef
You read the standard safety statements? That's a first. After reading a few, I learned not to use the microwave in the shower, or to wash the coffee maker in the dishwasher, etc.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #27
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You read the standard safety statements? That's a first. After reading a few, I learned not to use the microwave in the shower, or to wash the coffee maker in the dishwasher, etc.
You're not supposed to wash the coffeemaker in the dishwasher? That explains a lot!
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
An instruction book that came with an iron I had once, cautioned not to wear clothes while ironing. Well, duh!!!! However, I will have to admit to flipping the bottom edge of a skirt I had on to press the hem a bit.

Okay, done.

As for the reality of user's guides, I do read them and keep them, like PF, in alphabetical order in a large 3-ring binder where they're stored in plastic protective sleeves so I can see each one and access them easily.

I do go through the binder on a regular basis and remove the manuals that pertain to items that I no longer have. And, as someone else already mentioned, when I get rid of something, the manual goes with it.

When I purchase appliances, electronics, etc. at yard sales/thrift stores and such, and there's no manual, I usually go to the Internet to download a manual if available.

I'm pretty good at taking care of my stuff and still have my original Oster blender I purchased in 1968, along with its user's manual. It's still working like a champ. As are a number of other appliances I bought in the late '60s and early '70s, also all with their attendant manuals. You can probably guess that the pages in the guides aren't pristine white anymore. Just a bit yellowed with age.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #29
Master Chef
I wish i did. I have a bread making machine seating in the garage for 5-6 years now, waiting for my wife to read instruction so she would just explain to me how to use it. I'm bad.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #30
Head Chef
I usually read them twice. Once to learn to operate the thing and then again a few weeks later to figure out the extra features that aren't obvious. I am always amazed at the things I learn on that second reading, lots of features there that I didn't consider important on first blush.

joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote