Do you use the inner bowl or separate bowl to wash rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anticuchos

Assistant Cook
Do you use the inner bowl that comes with the rice cooker or a seperate plastic bowl to wash rice?

I have the Presto Options Multi Cooker which can also be used to cook rice.

And I only wash Carolina or River rice. Not Uncle Ben's or similar par-boiled rice.

~Corey123.

That does not really answer the posters question though Corey.

What bowl do you use to wash the rice when you do wash it? The bowl that came with it or a different bowl?

anticuchos, I do not think it really matters much, but I have only used a rice cooker once or twice so I am not the best person to answer this. I really do not think it would matter though.

I wash it right in the aluminium pot that goes inside the rice cooker, and I have been doing it that way for about 25 years, so I guess it works okay or I probably would have stopped by now. :rolleyes:

GB said:
That does not really answer the posters question though Corey.

What bowl do you use to wash the rice when you do wash it? The bowl that came with it or a different bowl?

anticuchos, I do not think it really matters much, but I have only used a rice cooker once or twice so I am not the best person to answer this. I really do not think it would matter though.

I've really only used the cooker once for rice, and that was about a few years ago. So a rice cooker is not something that I'd use on a daily basis. It's not healthy for diabetics, you know.

But it's usually the pot that I'm about to cook the rice in on the stove. Three or more times until the water is almost clear.

This is also a good practice for diabetics such as myself because it helps get rid of all that excess starch. And I usually cook no more than about a cup of rice - which is what 1/2 a cup of raw rice comes to with the water (1 cup).

This is so that I'm not tempted to eat too much rice, which will raise the glucose level a bit too high.

There ARE small rice cookers, but to make good use of them, I'd have to use them almost every day. Again, not good for diabetics.

Corey123.

Corey123 said:
I've really only used the cooker once for rice, and that was about a few years ago. So a rice cooker is not something that I'd use on a daily basis.
OK well we really should try to stay on topic so that the posters question actually gets answered. Thanks :)

anticuchos - to make a long story short (from reading some of the replys) it doesn't matter what bowl you use as long as it is large enough to hold the rice. For small quantities of rice like1-2 cups - I generally just use a strainer/sieve.

Anticuchos, if your rice cooker's pot is aluminium, you can easily use it to wash the rice and measure it. Be sure to dry the bottom of the pot before putting it back into the electric cooker. However, I would not advise you to do it if it's a non-stick pot just in case during washing the rice scratches it. The standard way of measurement is to use as many cups of rice as desired (I refer to the small measuring cup that came with your rice cooker and not the standard measuring cup), add water up to the appropriate mark indicated inside the pot and set the cooker to 'cook' mode. When the rice is cooked, it will switch to 'warm' mode automatically.

Back
Top Bottom