"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Master Chef

Do you use your FoodSaver for anything else?

How about some tips on other uses for Foodsaver besides food ?
How about preventing silverware from being tarnished ?
Preserve a cherished memento or valuable magazine ? Collectors items?
For moms with infants and toddlers, how about sealing a wet washcloth , for a trip?
How about single portions of snacks for taking along on a trip?
How about sealing an ice bag and make it reusable ?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now my Foodsaver is propping the door of my freezer open while it defrosts.
OK, not really . Looks like you covered all bases LC. I haven't used mine for anything except sealing foods, but I remember the commercials touting survival packages and such, like for boating or anything you want to preserve items for future use. Not a bad idea.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Head Chef

We went to a college football game this fall and the forcast was for rain. To save space in my little purse, I sealed 2 ponchoes and a few folded paper towels. I was surprised how little/thin it actually got!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Cook

Oooh, thanks for starting this thread! I just ordered my FS V3840
last night and I find this most intriguing! I'm pretty sure I'll get my monies worth with if I only used it with food, but these ideas are great as well. And I'm open to exploring my options!

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread and see what else I can do with it.

Hmmm....I was just thinking, as a dog owner (or rather, being owned by my dog -lol) I could seal treats and food for her when we take long trips to keep them from going stale. Let's see what else I can come up with.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novicebaker35 View Post
Oooh, thanks for starting this thread! I just ordered my FS V3840
last night and I find this most intriguing! I'm pretty sure I'll get my monies worth with if I only used it with food, but these ideas are great as well. And I'm open to exploring my options!

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread and see what else I can do with it.

Hmmm....I was just thinking, as a dog owner (or rather, being owned by my dog -lol) I could seal treats and food for her when we take long trips to keep them from going stale. Let's see what else I can come up with.
That's the model I have too, did not order thru tv commercial, in fact , never saw the commercial . I did my research online.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
That's the model I have too, did not order thru tv commercial, in fact , never saw the commercial . I did my research online.

Yes, I've been reading about them online for a while now and began drooling. Initially I wanted the V2460 after seeing it at Kitchen Collections...but then I saw this one and purely by chance I saw this infomercial. I'm usually not an infomercial customer, but after drooling over this for so long when I saw it this morning I knew I had to have it!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have never really used it for anything other than food items. But you could use it to seal things to keep dry. (Like going on a camping trip or something like that.) Food is about all I need it for.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Head Chef

I'm on my third one over a lot of years of usage. Could not live without it. It is used to package all my first aid items to keep it clean, waterproof, and fresher for longer. Same goes for items in the car and garage. It is also used for items in my 72-hour emergency pack so that everything is protected from the elements.

Pint bags were were used to seal water into emergency water supplies.

Bags of rice, flour and beans are routinely vacuum-sealed for long-term storage and prevent bug infestation.

Additionally I have the Reynolds "Handi-Vac" that uses Ziplock bags for added convenience and also the new Ziplock vacuum sealer that is non-electric which I keep in the emergency pack.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

Mcnerd, have you made the ice packs (like for injuries)? I'm curious what the ratio alcohol to water is.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
Head Chef

See - now you've got me started....

Doggie treats won't get infested with ickies in the SAM bags.

Camera equipment remains dust and water-proof

For kiddies, wet wash-cloths for outings. For emergencies I freeze a wet washcloth in a bag and it acts like an ice pack which can be conformed to the injury - better than frozen peas!

Wool yarn is impervious to age and infestations when sealed. And any yarn ages better when protected from air.

Small bottles of paint stored in a bag and sealed, don't dry out.

You can create our own "less than an ounce" travel goodies - much much cheaper!

The bags are really tough so a little emergency kit will survive your purse for ages.

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure I use them for more!