Does anyone have a Bottom Freezer Refridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
After 24 years I need a need refridge, it is starting to go.
old one is 16 cub
As I get old thinking ahead and a bad back- like the Idea of the fridge all at eye level and the freezer at the bottom. 25 cub
I have a full upright freezer for most things. The fridge freezer i use for bread, rolls, ice cream, breakfast sauage, bacon -- small stuff. But I am in for alot ice. I drink lots of ice water.

But now for the same price a 25 cub side by side with water and ice in door.
the fridge part is much more visiable on the bottom so i wouldn't have to struggle to get or see thing also thought can put the stuff for the grand kids on the bottom

so back to the bottom freeze/ i would have to keep pulling that the freezer drawer out just to get ice. hmmm whats your opinion

thanks for listening

I have a bottom freezer that my dh talked me into. I'll never let him forget it! I don't care for it at all. You are correct when you said pulling the drawer out (or reaching in) to get ice is a pain. It's also hard to see what is in there. My sil loves hers however so it's a matter of opinion.

We got one when we renovated last year - it's a tradeoff, for sure. I like having the fridge part easily accessible and everything visible, but the freezer is a bit of a pain. It can be hard to find things or remember what's in there. We did not get one with the ice/water dispenser in the door because it reduces the storage capacity of the fridge considerably - you lose storage in most of the door. Overall, I'm happy with it, though.

Maybe you could use an insulated ice bucket or an insulated beverage container so you wouldn't have to get into the freezer as often.

I have a bottom freezer and love it! I have a bad back too, so I keep a stool in the kitchen so I can sit down from time to time when I'm cooking. The fridge is right across from the stove, so I just sit on the stool to open the drawer and get my ice. The drawer has a pull-out shelf in the top section, making it very easy to find things.

I have a friend who is an experienced appliance repairman, and he recommends against in-door ice dispensers, as he says they are a high-maintenance item.

I have a bottom freezer and love it! I have a bad back too, so I keep a stool in the kitchen so I can sit down from time to time when I'm cooking. The fridge is right across from the stove, so I just sit on the stool to open the drawer and get my ice. The drawer has a pull-out shelf in the top section, making it very easy to find things.

Mine has the pull-out shelf, too. It's the bottom part under that where things tend to get lost, because I end up with two or three layers of items there. If you, or anyone, have tips on avoiding this problem, I'd love to hear them :)

Last edited:
I don't have a bottom freezer but my mom had one when I was growing up and she loved it. She still says to this day she'd love another fridge like that. Like you, she had a separate standing freezer. That said, I had to get another fridge a few months ago and I got a side by side with the water and ice in the door. I've never had an ice maker before - much less a thru the door dispenser. It's fantastic. It was easy to run the water line and both the water and the ice feature gets used all day long. If you use a lot of ice, consider the side by side or a french door model that has all three. (I looked at those but they were way too pricey for what I had budgeted. I ended up buying my daughter's 4 year old fridge that she was selling when she remodelled her kitchen a couple of months ago.)

I hate mine so much I barely use it. I go downstairs and put everything but ice and a few frozen waffles and the juice in the chest freezer.
It may be better if it were a slide out drawer type, but its just a door and if I have to look for something I end up sitting on the floor. Then the kids come help and grab the ice cream....

Sears Coldspot

We had one that gave up the ghost 7 years back. Everything in our price range to replace it then was too small compared to our 1966 model. So we went w/ side x side.

Sure miss the bottom freezer, it was our 1st one inherited w/ an older house we bought in 1995, gave the owner $50 for it at the time. Gave us pretty good life and we loved having the freezer on the bottom. Easier to get produce out of. Everyone has their different preference. ;)

when i lived with my son, his fridg had bottom freezer, he also had a small chest type freezer in garage. i hated both of them. fridg. one did not have any room and ice cubes were a nightmare.

the freezer in garage, lost stuff in it. as many layers were frozen together. we did on occasion buy baged ice and put in chest freezer.

the one i have now, has freezer at the top, easy to see what it is there.

i had a side by side a number of years ago. freezer to narrow ,would not let me put things level on a shelf. am remembering a frozen dessert that was just to wide for narrow shelves.

babe

I saw on the news last night that Sears is under very heavy fire because of ticked off
customers complaining about their products and warranty services.

The report says that customers who have purchased TV's, major appliances and other merchandise are not happy with Sears' cuctomer service. They said it's very lousy.

Sears flatly refuses to acknowlege the complaints.

I saw on the news last night that Sears is under very heavy fire because of ticked off
customers complaining about their products and warranty services.

The report says that customers who have purchased TV's, major appliances and other merchandise are not happy with Sears' cuctomer service. They said it's very lousy.

Sears flatly refuses to acknowlege the complaints.

HOW TRUE! Picture this, you are expecting Sears with new fridge and it is almost 90degrees outside middle of August. So you keep air conditioning off, knowing that doors will have to be open for them to move appliance in the kitchen. Supposed to come between 2-4 come after 5 on Friday afternoon. Get fridge all the way to kitchen say it is too big, go back to store and get different size. But the present fridge I have was SAME size. Still tell me can't get in kitchen. They say they will leave fridge while all my food on floor and counters and pick up when they get order for different size. So they leave the new fridge on the unheated breezeway doors off and my old fridge moved to basement. Lovely. In order to get things the way they should have been, we asked friend to come over took doors off room and moved box into kitchen so I could put food in it. THEY LEFT THE BOX ON THE BREEZEWAY!!!!!!!!! Called Sears following Monday and t hey gave me certificate of $50. Now the stupid thing did get marked up as they didn't know how to put the durn doors on at first, not right tools. I am so sick when I use this fridge with the experience I had and never ever will forget SEARS. They were so great few years back, what the heck happened? Not enough business? Oh, I know everything comes from China. have I said this before?

I thank everyone for their replies.
I have questioned quite a few around here also
I have gone refridge shopping today with all your replies in mind. and I almost went for the regular old fridge type but have ending up going with a maytag side x side with ice and water in freezer door.
with just hubbie and me home its works. the bins are clear so you can see them and the inside of frideg is very visiable. Since I have a upright freezer already for most things the freezer will works great for what i use it for , xtra bread, ice cream small stuff.
We also called to a appliance repair man we know an asked his opinion and he said you change the filter and clean it once and while you will never have a problem.
so we are giving it ago and it comes tommorrow.
hubbie thinks ill like since i am constanly getting ice out of the freezer. said we even might see a drop in the electric bill since i won't be opening the freezer all the time.
Thanks again everyone for listening and your ideas ill let you know after I use for a while whether it was a good choice or not.

I thank everyone for their replies.
I have questioned quite a few around here also
I have gone refridge shopping today with all your replies in mind. and I almost went for the regular old fridge type but have ending up going with a maytag side x side with ice and water in freezer door.
with just hubbie and me home its works. the bins are clear so you can see them and the inside of frideg is very visiable. Since I have a upright freezer already for most things the freezer will works great for what i use it for , xtra bread, ice cream small stuff.
We also called to a appliance repair man we know an asked his opinion and he said you change the filter and clean it once and while you will never have a problem.
so we are giving it ago and it comes tommorrow.
hubbie thinks ill like since i am constanly getting ice out of the freezer. said we even might see a drop in the electric bill since i won't be opening the freezer all the time.
Thanks again everyone for listening and your ideas ill let you know after I use for a while whether it was a good choice or not.
Congrats! I hope you will like yours as much as I like mine. It seems silly but I was like a kid with a new toy when I could stick my cup in the door and get crushed ice and cold, filtered water! WooHoo - I must be a cheap date!

Glad you have one you like. I have had a bottom freezer for over ten years and love it. This is my second one which isn't as good as the first but that is to do with the brand not the style. Mine has two small baskets as one pull out drawer, a narrow shelf, and then one larger basket. I sort raw meat into one of the small baskets, sweet items into the other, ice cube trays and pastry sheets onto the drawer and everything else at the bottom. I don't have any problem finding things and even though stacked two or three items high, doesn't take long to look. Most of my stuff is taken from the first two drawers though because of the sorting so not really having to bend over either much. Get much more freezer space in this sort of fridge than a top freezer. I have no other freezer.

Would have loved to have had a door dispenser but all the probelms I heard of them leaking and needing a plumber to install put me off in a very big way!!!

Back
Top Bottom