"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What about a porcelain coated cast iron pot such as a Le Crueset French oven. The CI is magnetic but does it have to be in direct contact with the cooktop?
Good point, Andy. I don't believe that the ceramic coating would interfere with the induced eddy currents, but can't be sure as I don't have an induction stove. I am however, trained as an electrical engineer, hence my knowledge of induction, though admitidely, I know more about induced electrical power in transformers and such. But the physics classes dealt with induction in other metals as well as the normal conductors used in electronics.

Also, the porcelain is a kind of ceramic material, and though I know it's an insulator, it may be transparent to the magnetic lines of force created by the inductive element on the stove. I beleive, as stated above, that the enameled pan would work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks Goodweed. It open up a new door for me. How hot can induction goes if you compare to gas? I have not pay much attention on the material of my pots and pans. I guess that another thing that I have to pay attention at.
Another question I have is how durable, and how expensive to repair induction stove? Thanks

Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

Just read posts on another forum where the question was asked - What is the best cookwear for an induction stove? Enameled cast iron was one of the favored choices. But like any forum, there was a lot of unscientific responses with some people swearing by Martha Stewart Stainless Steel, and others specifying there Lodge Cast iron cookwear, swearing that it was the best cookwear ever made. Personally, I like my Lodge Cast iron. But I love my Griswold cast iron. It is far superior, but much harder to find since the company went out of business in the 1950's.

Typically, it seams anything ferrous will work. After that, the choice is yours.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Sous Chef

as induction does heat up right quick, I wonder if thermal expansion/stress would be a problem with enameled cast iron?

it's good for oven use - but I'd say the heating is slower by oven "air"
Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
as induction does heat up right quick, I wonder if thermal expansion/stress would be a problem with enameled cast iron?

it's good for oven use - but I'd say the heating is slower by oven "air"

I use mine on the stove top on a higher output burner tuned up all the way. No problems yet.

It's also fine on electric coil burners.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Enameled cast iron works fine on induction, as does carbon steel (the French Lyonaise pans , the Mineral pans. What works but not evenly is the tri ply with magnetic stainless exterior. The bottom portions in direct contact heat quickly while those that hang over the center point don't and the sides also are slow to heat. Thus you have a hot spot and can burn food if not stirring often.

gas is still the winner either direct flame or flat top/French top.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
...The bottom portions in direct contact heat quickly while those that hang over the center point don't and the sides also are slow to heat. Thus you have a hot spot and can burn food if not stirring often...

Robo, I don't understand this part. Please explain.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Maybe if you have those encapsulated bottoms that are not real wide, and the pan flares out from the bottom disk. The disc heats, but not the rest of the pan.

I looked at Emerilware a few years back and a lot of the frying pans had a very small bottom and the sides flared out from there, so the "cooking" surface was actually quite small. That is the #1 reason that I didn't buy the set, even though it looked very nice.

see how the bottom cooking area is much smaller than the actual pan?

I would imagine that if your encapsulated bottom was the same width as the pan, it would be less of a problem, or if you had "clad" style cookware, where the aluminum core extended up the sides.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove, in