"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Does the price of a gas stove make a difference in performance?

Hi I am planing to remodel my kitchen. I will go with "gas" range/cooktop. As far as oven a good electric convection.
This is my thought for stove/cooktop. Any brand will do it. as long they have the power between 9,000-16,000 BTU. A lot of people really like Blue Star and Wolf. Blue Star had that 22,000 BTU, but Wolf is only up to 18,000 BTU. I use MAYTAG range, and work fine most all my cooking. I have no idea BTU's on mine. For 8 year I never have a single problem, although I only started to use the range heavily in the last 3 and a half years. If I need to do a stir-fry, I use an outdoor portable stove. It claim could go up to 130,000BTU (I dough it, but for $150 it do the job well.) Oven is another story. My oven temp is off irregularly.

Is $2,500 cooktop will get a better result then the $800? In my limited experience, I don't think so. Anyway, I would like to get some input for some of more experience cooks and chefs on my view.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Sous Chef

you've identified the main issue methinks - stir fry in a wok is likely the most "heat demanding" thing for a cooktop. and,,,, some folks maintain that even the 'lesser BTU' sizes are adequate _if_ the burner jets are in the star pattern vs a more typical round pattern.

if you routinely boil up a 50 quart stock pot for pasta, more BTU would be useful....
other than that, the usual 16-18k burners will get a pan hot enough to do all the tasks.

the higher price models may have some good features - stainless (if you want that) - sealed burners (less mess down under...) but also carry a fee for "the name"

don't get a Viking - they are a maintenance headache - mine is, and I've not heard from anyone in any number of Forums that has a trouble free one.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I have a Wolf. At the time I got it there was no Bluestar, and no one had anything nice to say about Viking. Power has not been a problem, and the heat reduces to a stable bare simmer which is really important. I have the electric convection oven (2 fans). Spectacular. Today I would certainly look at Bluestar. If I had real limitations of space and cost I might also look at Kitchenaid.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Judge by the heat output of the burners (BTUs). If an $800 cooktop has the heat output you need/want, why spend more? There may be other features you consider important, such as the type of grates, whether it has sealed burners for easier cleaning, etc. Read some online reviews for the models you choose to find out if the brand is reliable. Some of the high end brands have a bad rep.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

My budget for gas stove and electric convection oven is about 2,500. It could be a range or cooktop/wall oven. Most of the money will be dedicated to the oven.
In my research, so far only 30" GE Cafe duel fuel range that fit my criteria. It has the mid range BTU's (the new one has 20,000). come with 4 burners, and a griddle in the middle. Perfect. The oven is convection with 2 fans. A lot of people said it is not a true convention. I don't have experience in this one. Can some one give me an input on this one. For me a stable and even temp are important. There are few neg. reviews on this range, but so far I didn't a major flow. The oven has a lot of positives reviews.
If anyone have other suggestions for the price range, I appreciate the input. I am willing to go to 3000 if there are some obvious advantages. Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

Have you considered an induction cooktop? They offer the instant heat flexibility of gas, but without the flame. And they are the safest of all cooktops as no heat is generated until a pan is placed on the burner. Because of the nature of induction heat, temperature control is precise, and cleanup is easier as only the pan, and what it touches get hot. So food doesn't burn to the stove top.

Just a thought.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Have you considered an induction cooktop? They offer the instant heat flexibility of gas, but without the flame. And they are the safest of all cooktops as no heat is generated until a pan is placed on the burner. Because of the nature of induction heat, temperature control is precise, and cleanup is easier as only the pan, and what it touches get hot. So food doesn't burn to the stove top.

Just a thought.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
That's what I am going to get for my next range. My range is only 2 years old and it's great, but I would really like induction, by the time this one gives up the ghost, hopefully induction will be much cheaper. All the benefits of gas, easy cleanup, and really quick heating and boiling.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I don't know anything about induction. What are the pros, and cons compare to gas?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

Pros:
1. No flame so it's safer, won't cause a fire.
2. No hot burner, so it's safer, won't burn you or children.
3. Most efficient of any fuel. Uses electricity to generate magnetic waves that make iron and steel pots and pans get hot. Only the pans get hot. No air is heated by the energy.
4. No waste products from the stove because there are no combustion gasses, means cleaner air in your home.
5. Instant temperature change, just like gas. No warm up or cool down as there are with radiant elements, or heat coils.
6. Cooks foods faster.
7, no hot-spots on the pots and pans because there is not heat conduction from contact with a burner.
8. Works by a process called induction. The expanding and collapsing magnetic fields create eddy-currents in the iron or steel pots and pans. As iron and steel are poor conductors of electricity, the metal acts as a resistive element and heats up. There is no path for current flow through the user. Therefore, all of the energy supplied by the inductive stove is used to generate heat in the pan, with no waste heat flowing around the pan, and heating the house.
9. Since the only heat produced is by the pan metal, only that part of the stove touching the pan actually gets hot. Spill-overs don't burn on the stove surface.

Cons - only works with steel and iron pots and pans. Won't work with aluminum, glass, ceramic, or copper post and pans.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Pros:
1. No flame so it's safer, won't cause a fire.
2. No hot burner, so it's safer, won't burn you or children.
3. Most efficient of any fuel. Uses electricity to generate magnetic waves that make iron and steel pots and pans get hot. Only the pans get hot. No air is heated by the energy.
4. No waste products from the stove because there are no combustion gasses, means cleaner air in your home.
5. Instant temperature change, just like gas. No warm up or cool down as there are with radiant elements, or heat coils.
6. Cooks foods faster.
7, no hot-spots on the pots and pans because there is not heat conduction from contact with a burner.
8. Works by a process called induction. The expanding and collapsing magnetic fields create eddy-currents in the iron or steel pots and pans. As iron and steel are poor conductors of electricity, the metal acts as a resistive element and heats up. There is no path for current flow through the user. Therefore, all of the energy supplied by the inductive stove is used to generate heat in the pan, with no waste heat flowing around the pan, and heating the house.
9. Since the only heat produced is by the pan metal, only that part of the stove touching the pan actually gets hot. Spill-overs don't burn on the stove surface.

Cons - only works with steel and iron pots and pans. Won't work with aluminum, glass, ceramic, or copper post and pans.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
What about a porcelain coated cast iron pot such as a Le Crueset French oven. The CI is magnetic but does it have to be in direct contact with the cooktop?

Tags
stove, in