Don't buy me that!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with all of the above. I love to use my knife, just for the simple enjoyment of feeling a great tool do its job well (with the help of someone who knows how to use it). I can't use a mixer or bread maker as I have too feel the dough, its moisture content, it's elasticity, how firm or soft it is, before I can make the various breads that I make.

I do have to say though, that if that egg cracker thing seperates eggs as easy as it looks in the infomercial, that would be a good thing. I can't tell you how many times I've messed up what could have been great marangue because a bit of yolk leaked into the egg whites while I was cracking the egg. It's not an everytime thing, but happens often enough to make it annoying.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Janet, I never knew:ROFLMAO:never saw:ROFLMAO:glad I don't have an egg cracker! Funny, Funny!

I must be a gadget geek. Have lots, some I've bought, some I got as gifts, some are from my Mom's stash when I cleaned out my parent's home after she died. Collect them like vacation T-shirts.;) Which brings me to DaveSoMD's dilemma: no user manual for the Bread Machine. Dave, check the manufacturer's website; you might be able to get a downloadable manual that you can print. Or search the web for their customer service number; they might mail one to you.

And for all of my kitchen toys? I do use most of them. But can't get my DH's love for the air-pop popcorn maker (we ended up getting rid of it) and rice steamer. Yeah, I do use that one. My personal favorites are my mandolin, bread machine (although I use it mostly in the "dough" mode and do the final raise and bake in a bread pan or on a stone), and my Nordic Ware scone pans (so much better than baked on a sheet!).

Hotdog Toaster
Here's another I don't really need....

YouTube - Dan Tests The "Pop Up Hot Dog Toaster" (1 of 2)
SO don't want one of those either.:LOL:

When our kids were in middle school we got a sandwich maker. The one that crimped the edges of plain white bread while creasing the sandwich diagonally. Thought it would come in handy for quickie meals between sports/school/scouts/etc. Our son absolutely fell in love with it! I think he spent the next four years making those things every time he got a little hungry - and if you have ever fed a teenage boy who plays sports all school year and bicycles everywhere you know he was basically a stomach with legs.

gifts

heheheheh me, too! Over the years, I have sold a rice cooker a blender and a crock pot/slow cooker at yard sales, after allowing them to sit around my house too long. All gifts from well meaning friends and relatives.

yes , its collecting dust too in the cupboards and cabinets:ROFLMAO:i should really do a yard sale for some of these stuff..thanks for the idea:chef:

hotdogs!

SO don't want one of those either.:LOL:

When our kids were in middle school we got a sandwich maker. The one that crimped the edges of plain white bread while creasing the sandwich diagonally. Thought it would come in handy for quickie meals between sports/school/scouts/etc. Our son absolutely fell in love with it! I think he spent the next four years making those things every time he got a little hungry - and if you have ever fed a teenage boy who plays sports all school year and bicycles everywhere you know he was basically a stomach with legs.

I so agree U really dont need this one!!thanks for sharing this video:ROFLMAO:

Which brings me to DaveSoMD's dilemma: no user manual for the Bread Machine. Dave, check the manufacturer's website; you might be able to get a downloadable manual that you can print.

Sounds like a job for a snowy Satruday.. what..that will be this weekend. :)

That hot dog thingy is really one for the books. I've never heard of them or even the egg cracker. I crack my eggs in a bowl before moving them to the batter. I grill the hot dogs on the small GF. I've got several things I need to get rid of - including the pop corn maker - remember the fry daddy? I probably haven't used it twice. I enjoy watching some of the gadgeteers make things mostly because they are so silly. I have been thinking about getting the flavor wave oven. I haven't talked to anyone who has one so don't know if it is really practical or not and didn't see it mentioned in this thread.

Sounds like a job for a snowy Satruday.. what..that will be this weekend. :)

I got my bread machine without the manual too. I just looked up some similiar machines and read the procedures for adding ingredients. Seems that most of them say to add wet ingredients, then dry ingredients, and then yeast last. Here is a bread machine recipe that my family likes. In the comments/reviews someone gives instructions for a larger loaf if you prefer. Also I added garlic powder and herbs to it. Very good!

Best Bread Machine Bread - All Recipes

I forgot one - the biggest one... an egg cracker.

DON'T BUY ME THIS - EVER

YouTube - EZ Cracker Commercial - As Seen on TV Chat Video

OHHH MY GODDDD!!! i was just lazily reading this thread,and suddenly watching this egg cracker commercial,i woke up and nearly jumped on my chair,its so pathetic i cant even laugh at it,hehehe,seriously..i mean..what the hell...why do people even waste their time thinking about inventing such crap..

why do people even waste their time thinking about inventing such crap..
Because people will buy it. As stupid as it seems to come up with these ideas, there is a market for them. The market is not people on this board as we either know how to do these things or want to learn how to do them. We don't need "shortcuts". Now someone who hates to cook, never learned how, and has no desire to learn how just may love the idea of an egg cracker. They don't have to get their hands dirty and they know the egg will crack open without trouble each and every time. As stupid as it seems, that product will make money for the person who came up with the idea. I would say that person did not waste their time if they are able to earn a living off a product like this.

Because people will buy it. As stupid as it seems to come up with these ideas, there is a market for them. The market is not people on this board as we either know how to do these things or want to learn how to do them. We don't need "shortcuts". Now someone who hates to cook, never learned how, and has no desire to learn how just may love the idea of an egg cracker. They don't have to get their hands dirty and they know the egg will crack open without trouble each and every time. As stupid as it seems, that product will make money for the person who came up with the idea. I would say that person did not waste their time if they are able to earn a living off a product like this.

yeahhh but still....an egg cracker????

Just wait until I invent my liquid temperature increaser (pot to boil water). I am going to make millions.

We got our "slap chopper" from Pampered Chef when my wife was a rep(did I mention 800lbs of stoneware?) and she uses religiously when making pumpkin roll (chopped pecans added to the cream cheese filling). I love the mandoline for chopping celery..turn the stalk upside-down and chop the whole stalk for salads and freeze the rest for soups. Got out the "Baby George" rotisserie to try a 8" pork loin....I do better on the grill with indirect heat and smoke. Wife used the "applepeelercorerslicer" two days ago for spiced apples. Haven't used the salad spinner in a while...

No to:

Rice cooker--they sound good, but by the time I dig it out of the cabinet and wash it (because it has been in the cabinet for a hundred years) I can have stovetop rice half done.

George Foreman grill--I have cast iron pans and a griddle.

Lemon zester--see below

Yogurt maker--never used it.

Yes to:

Apple corer/peeler: was invaluable when I had a good apple tree. Don't use it much now, but I can peel a bushel of apples in half an hour when I get rolling.

Pasta roller--love fresh pasta, and it works for potsticker/egg roll wrappers, too.

Microplane grater--for zesting citrus, grating nutmeg and frozen ginger, parmesan cheese. Got mine at the hardware store--much cheaper than the kitchen store.

Jury is still out on the deep fryer. I don't fry much, but the DF does make better catfish than I can using the stove, and it keeps the spatters contained. Guess I will keep it.

Salad spinner--couldn't live without it. I grow and eat a lot of looseleaf lettuce, and the SS makes it so easy. I also use it when I find a big bunch of mushrooms.

Jury is still out on the deep fryer. I don't fry much, but the DF does make better catfish than I can using the stove, and it keeps the spatters contained. Guess I will keep it.
You ever make sizzling rice soup? You need the deep fryer for that. Its on my wish list for my birthday because I am totally addicted to the soup!

Alix, couldn't you do that is a Dutch oven? I am not familiar with the soup so I really don't know.

Nope you can't. You make the soup in a dutch oven, but you need to deep fry your leftover rice and add it to the soup while it is still hot. Thus creating the sizzle. I've tried it in a deep pan with a mesh screen...don't even ASK about that disaster. Its really a deep fryer or nothing to do it right.

Back
Top Bottom