"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Salad spinner is pretty handy to remove excess water from leafy washed salad ingredients.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
Master Chef

I agree with all of the above. I love to use my knife, just for the simple enjoyment of feeling a great tool do its job well (with the help of someone who knows how to use it). I can't use a mixer or bread maker as I have too feel the dough, its moisture content, it's elasticity, how firm or soft it is, before I can make the various breads that I make.

I do have to say though, that if that egg cracker thing seperates eggs as easy as it looks in the infomercial, that would be a good thing. I can't tell you how many times I've messed up what could have been great marangue because a bit of yolk leaked into the egg whites while I was cracking the egg. It's not an everytime thing, but happens often enough to make it annoying.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Hotdog Toaster
Here's another I don't really need....

Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #24
Master Chef

Janet, I never knewnever sawglad I don't have an egg cracker! Funny, Funny!

I must be a gadget geek. Have lots, some I've bought, some I got as gifts, some are from my Mom's stash when I cleaned out my parent's home after she died. Collect them like vacation T-shirts. Which brings me to DaveSoMD's dilemma: no user manual for the Bread Machine. Dave, check the manufacturer's website; you might be able to get a downloadable manual that you can print. Or search the web for their customer service number; they might mail one to you.

And for all of my kitchen toys? I do use most of them. But can't get my DH's love for the air-pop popcorn maker (we ended up getting rid of it) and rice steamer. Yeah, I do use that one. My personal favorites are my mandolin, bread machine (although I use it mostly in the "dough" mode and do the final raise and bake in a bread pan or on a stone), and my Nordic Ware scone pans (so much better than baked on a sheet!).
Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Hotdog Toaster
Here's another I don't really need....

SO don't want one of those either.

When our kids were in middle school we got a sandwich maker. The one that crimped the edges of plain white bread while creasing the sandwich diagonally. Thought it would come in handy for quickie meals between sports/school/scouts/etc. Our son absolutely fell in love with it! I think he spent the next four years making those things every time he got a little hungry - and if you have ever fed a teenage boy who plays sports all school year and bicycles everywhere you know he was basically a stomach with legs.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #26
Senior Cook

gifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
heheheheh me, too! Over the years, I have sold a rice cooker a blender and a crock pot/slow cooker at yard sales, after allowing them to sit around my house too long. All gifts from well meaning friends and relatives.
yes , its collecting dust too in the cupboards and cabinetsi should really do a yard sale for some of these stuff..thanks for the idea
Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #27
Senior Cook

hotdogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
SO don't want one of those either.

When our kids were in middle school we got a sandwich maker. The one that crimped the edges of plain white bread while creasing the sandwich diagonally. Thought it would come in handy for quickie meals between sports/school/scouts/etc. Our son absolutely fell in love with it! I think he spent the next four years making those things every time he got a little hungry - and if you have ever fed a teenage boy who plays sports all school year and bicycles everywhere you know he was basically a stomach with legs.

I so agree U really dont need this one!!thanks for sharing this video
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 AM   #28
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Which brings me to DaveSoMD's dilemma: no user manual for the Bread Machine. Dave, check the manufacturer's website; you might be able to get a downloadable manual that you can print.
Sounds like a job for a snowy Satruday.. what..that will be this weekend.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #29
Executive Chef

That hot dog thingy is really one for the books. I've never heard of them or even the egg cracker. I crack my eggs in a bowl before moving them to the batter. I grill the hot dogs on the small GF. I've got several things I need to get rid of - including the pop corn maker - remember the fry daddy? I probably haven't used it twice. I enjoy watching some of the gadgeteers make things mostly because they are so silly. I have been thinking about getting the flavor wave oven. I haven't talked to anyone who has one so don't know if it is really practical or not and didn't see it mentioned in this thread.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Sounds like a job for a snowy Satruday.. what..that will be this weekend.
I got my bread machine without the manual too. I just looked up some similiar machines and read the procedures for adding ingredients. Seems that most of them say to add wet ingredients, then dry ingredients, and then yeast last. Here is a bread machine recipe that my family likes. In the comments/reviews someone gives instructions for a larger loaf if you prefer. Also I added garlic powder and herbs to it. Very good!

Best Bread Machine Bread - All Recipes