"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I forgot one - the biggest one... an egg cracker.

DON'T BUY ME THIS - EVER

OHHH MY GODDDD!!! i was just lazily reading this thread,and suddenly watching this egg cracker commercial,i woke up and nearly jumped on my chair,its so pathetic i cant even laugh at it,hehehe,seriously..i mean..what the hell...why do people even waste their time thinking about inventing such crap..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
why do people even waste their time thinking about inventing such crap..
Because people will buy it. As stupid as it seems to come up with these ideas, there is a market for them. The market is not people on this board as we either know how to do these things or want to learn how to do them. We don't need "shortcuts". Now someone who hates to cook, never learned how, and has no desire to learn how just may love the idea of an egg cracker. They don't have to get their hands dirty and they know the egg will crack open without trouble each and every time. As stupid as it seems, that product will make money for the person who came up with the idea. I would say that person did not waste their time if they are able to earn a living off a product like this.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Because people will buy it. As stupid as it seems to come up with these ideas, there is a market for them. The market is not people on this board as we either know how to do these things or want to learn how to do them. We don't need "shortcuts". Now someone who hates to cook, never learned how, and has no desire to learn how just may love the idea of an egg cracker. They don't have to get their hands dirty and they know the egg will crack open without trouble each and every time. As stupid as it seems, that product will make money for the person who came up with the idea. I would say that person did not waste their time if they are able to earn a living off a product like this.
yeahhh but still....an egg cracker????
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

Just wait until I invent my liquid temperature increaser (pot to boil water). I am going to make millions.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #35
Cook

We got our "slap chopper" from Pampered Chef when my wife was a rep(did I mention 800lbs of stoneware?) and she uses religiously when making pumpkin roll (chopped pecans added to the cream cheese filling). I love the mandoline for chopping celery..turn the stalk upside-down and chop the whole stalk for salads and freeze the rest for soups. Got out the "Baby George" rotisserie to try a 8" pork loin....I do better on the grill with indirect heat and smoke. Wife used the "applepeelercorerslicer" two days ago for spiced apples. Haven't used the salad spinner in a while...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #36
Head Chef

No to:

Rice cooker--they sound good, but by the time I dig it out of the cabinet and wash it (because it has been in the cabinet for a hundred years) I can have stovetop rice half done.

George Foreman grill--I have cast iron pans and a griddle.

Lemon zester--see below

Yogurt maker--never used it.

Yes to:

Apple corer/peeler: was invaluable when I had a good apple tree. Don't use it much now, but I can peel a bushel of apples in half an hour when I get rolling.

Pasta roller--love fresh pasta, and it works for potsticker/egg roll wrappers, too.

Microplane grater--for zesting citrus, grating nutmeg and frozen ginger, parmesan cheese. Got mine at the hardware store--much cheaper than the kitchen store.

Jury is still out on the deep fryer. I don't fry much, but the DF does make better catfish than I can using the stove, and it keeps the spatters contained. Guess I will keep it.

Salad spinner--couldn't live without it. I grow and eat a lot of looseleaf lettuce, and the SS makes it so easy. I also use it when I find a big bunch of mushrooms.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #37
Everymom

Quote:
Jury is still out on the deep fryer. I don't fry much, but the DF does make better catfish than I can using the stove, and it keeps the spatters contained. Guess I will keep it.
You ever make sizzling rice soup? You need the deep fryer for that. Its on my wish list for my birthday because I am totally addicted to the soup!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Alix, couldn't you do that is a Dutch oven? I am not familiar with the soup so I really don't know.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #39
Everymom

Nope you can't. You make the soup in a dutch oven, but you need to deep fry your leftover rice and add it to the soup while it is still hot. Thus creating the sizzle. I've tried it in a deep pan with a mesh screen...don't even ASK about that disaster. Its really a deep fryer or nothing to do it right.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

Is it because the deep fryer has a lid?