"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The basic problem with auto drip coffee makers is that with very few exceptions, the temperature of the water is too low to get proper extraction.

I also think that conical shaped filters produce superior results. Due to their shape water gets exposed to the grounds for the longest possible time.

Technovorm is an example of an auto-drip maker that brews at the proper 200 degree temperature.

Other methods that allow you to control the brew using higher temperature water include Chemex and Clever pour over brew systems in the $30 dollar range.

I had one coffee maker that had water that was too hot. It burnt the coffee. DH had to move the thermostat closer to the heating element.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I fold the seam on my Melitta filters and then they never close up. Basket type filters can be a nuisance with edges folding over. I also think the Melitta cones make better tasting coffee. I learned to make decent coffee with just the Melitta cone, filter, coffee pot, and a kettle. I have that as backup.
I think so too. They must have had coffee makers when I moved out of home and got my first apartment but I don't remember them. I had the carafe and the filter holder and Melitta filters. That's how I made my coffee every day. I too think the Melitta makes better coffee but I can't come up with any explicit reason to support my opinion.

I use the setup when camping. I used it on the day of the infamous Northridge quake. (I lived a mile from the epicenter.) I fired up my camping stove and boiled water and had my cup of coffee. Okay the TV didn't work (nor the power, water or gas) but at least I had my coffee. Not that bad a day everything considered--better than the same day but without my coffee.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Head Chef

Does anyone use circular coffee filter packs? I have a Jerdon First Class 2-4 cup coffee maker that uses round coffee pouches, made by Maxwell House. Maxwell House also makes 12 cup coffee filter packs too. They are pricey, but oh so convenient. The coffee tastes great.

I've looked for fillable circular coffee filter pouches on the net, but haven't found any (they make square ones). It would be a lot cheaper to use those if i could find any. I'm not sure they even make them in round shape. The square shaped pouches are no good as my brewing cup is round and the water would drip past the pouch in areas.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think so too. They must have had coffee makers when I moved out of home and got my first apartment but I don't remember them. I had the carafe and the filter holder and Melitta filters. That's how I made my coffee every day. I too think the Melitta makes better coffee but I can't come up with any explicit reason to support my opinion.

I use the setup when camping. I used it on the day of the infamous Northridge quake. (I lived a mile from the epicenter.) I fired up my camping stove and boiled water and had my cup of coffee. Okay the TV didn't work (nor the power, water or gas) but at least I had my coffee. Not that bad a day everything considered--better than the same day but without my coffee.
Greg, if you are ages with me, the most common method of making coffee was a percolator. Restaurants made coffee with that glass vacuum contraption. It makes good coffee, the percolator, not so much.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I've used both, and have for the past twenty years used an old Revere Ware Drip-O-Lator. Stainless steel, copper clad bottom, heat the water in a kettle and pour through. It can be used without paper filters and works just fine that way, but I often use paper basket-type filters. Either way the coffee is excellent. Probably helps that I roast my own as I need it, no more than three days ahead.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Greg, if you are ages with me, the most common method of making coffee was a percolator. Restaurants made coffee with that glass vacuum contraption. It makes good coffee, the percolator, not so much.
Reading your posts for the last several or dozen months there's no doubt you and I are of a close cohort. I can't recall owning a percolator but I must have at one time. At some point in my 20s I became enamored of fresh ground coffee beans and drip and filter, and I've stuck with it ever since. I tried a French press (that what you meant?) but me and it didn't hit it off. Used it only once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Probably helps that I roast my own as I need it, no more than three days ahead.
I'd love to try that some day too--roasting my own. Fresh ground is so much better than pre-ground that I can only imagine that fresh roasted and fresh ground must be a whole bunch better! I guess I'm lazy, I grind only every 5 days to a week. It's always better the first day.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love my French Press! I carry a travel one in the car at all times, just in case.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Reading your posts for the last several or dozen months there's no doubt you and I are of a close cohort. I can't recall owning a percolator but I must have at one time. At some point in my 20s I became enamored of fresh ground coffee beans and drip and filter, and I've stuck with it ever since. I tried a French press (that what you meant?) but me and it didn't hit it off. Used it only once.
No, I didn't mean a French press, though I like the coffee a French press makes. You have to use very coarsely ground coffee, make sure your water isn't too hot (stopped boiling for 10 seconds is usually good enough), stir, and then let it sit for a few minutes before pressing. Don't drink the very bottom unless you like sediment in your coffee.

I meant a vacuum coffee maker:

You put the water in the bottom and the ground coffee in the top. You put it on the stove, and when the water is hot enough, it rises through the tube into the top container. When it has been in the top for a few minutes, you take it off the heat and the vacuum sucks the coffee back down into the bottom container. Then you take off the top and serve from the bottom container. There is a strainer in the top portion.

With a percolator the coffee in the bottom heats and spurts into the top with the ground beans. Then it falls through the strainer to the bottom and gets heated again. You let it continue doing this until it is strong enough. I think the continual re-boiling of the coffee is why perked coffee isn't very nice.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a glass Pyrex percolator for years. You could see how strong the coffee was and shut it off at the right time. I have also had the vacumn coffee maker. And the electric plug in perolator that shut off at just the right moment. Have also used the old campfire one. Put the grounds in the bottom with a pinch of salt, fill with water and place on the campfire to boil. Don't be the one to get the last cup.

I now have a MC that was given to me as a present. When this one goes, (and it will) I want to get a Melita type one. I had that cone for the individual cup. and I loved it. It made great coffee.

Have you ever had a cup of coffede that was so good you drank it right down and went back for seconds immediately?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had a glass Pyrex percolator for years. You could see how strong the coffee was and shut it off at the right time. I have also had the vacumn coffee maker. And the electric plug in perolator that shut off at just the right moment. Have also used the old campfire one. Put the grounds in the bottom with a pinch of salt, fill with water and place on the campfire to boil. Don't be the one to get the last cup.

I now have a MC that was given to me as a present. When this one goes, (and it will) I want to get a Melita type one. I had that cone for the individual cup. and I loved it. It made great coffee.

Have you ever had a cup of coffede that was so good you drank it right down and went back for seconds immediately?
Every day! I love my Keurig. I have had every type of coffee pot there is, the Keurig is perfect for how we drink coffee now. If we have visitors, I still have my percolator and several other pots hanging around. I did get rid of the drip coffee maker.

Tags
coffee