Drip coffee maker filters: Melitta vs. Mr. Coffee styles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@PF: Flipping over the filter didn't change anything although I'm sure I would have to do it for months to see if it prevented the side falling over problem.

@TL: I guess my problem with the French press was that I grind my coffee fine... Okay I remember seeing the vacuum coffee makers in coffee shops. By the time I started paying attention they had all switched to drip, because I presume the drip machines take less time and labor to make a pot. I agree that percolator recirculation of already brewed coffee is a big negative. I suspect but can't prove that the coffee gets more bitter the longer you run it.

I have one really big insulated coffee cup (easily two normal cups). I use it as my water measure, filling it to the tippy top and pouring that into the coffee maker. When the coffee is brewed I pour the whole pot right into the coffee cup. The moist grounds soak up just enough that the coffee level in the cup is low enough to not present a spilling danger.

I honestly think there is no reason to over think this is you are using a drip maker anyways. Most make a reasonable cup of coffee, but not stellar.

I use my Capresso Ultima for espresso more than anything. After that would be the french press or an ibrik depending on my mood. I have nothing against drip coffee, and I drink a lot of it but not at home. We don't have a drip maker.

The original problem with basket filters seemed to be that they folded in when they got wet and let grounds into the coffee pot. We had that problem with a Bunn VPR at church, and what I discovered was they were using generic 8-12 c. filters, which are smaller than 12 c. basket filters made for 12 c. brewers like Bunn. Bigger filters solved the problem. I bought the right filters but found I also had to throw away the old, under-sized ones or they would continue to use them and complain. Bunn makes a good electric brewer, and I have a big, two warmer pour over model I use for parties and events. Great coffee, 3 minutes a pot, consistently. I also have a two warmer remote station, so the coffee monster doesn't have to sit on the table. When the economy here started to tank, a lot of small offices, realtors especially, closed, and sold their office stuff. You can get those two warmer Bunn pour overs for < $50 and clean 'em up in a few minutes. Get a de-liming spring and clean the water line, and descale the boiler. It'll last a very long time.

I don't think I'm over-thinking it. I probably wrote the OP more to vent and get my irritation out of my system. I didn't have anything else to do at the time so writing the OP was a form of entertainment too. Internet forums are fun because you can get several or a dozen opinions about any question you pose and the replies are often interesting.

I was curious if anybody else had any opinion over Melitta vs. Mr. Coffee. It seems there are only (IMO) two important issues: (1) the Mr. Coffee filters sometimes fold over and make a bad brew, and (2) the conical Melitta filters might make a more uniform brew.

I think it's quite possible that Mr. Coffee brand filters might perform better than the generic ones. However the generic Melitta filters work just as good as the brand name ones (IMO).

I like the way drip coffee tastes (prefer it over other methods) and I don't like the Mr. Coffee maker because at least the generic filters don't work so well and sometimes fold and ruin the brew. I'll bide my time and when the moment is right I'll replace the MC with a Melitta style coffee maker perhaps Melitta brand.

Goodwill can find Mr. Coffee a new home. :)

The cone filters are usually thicker than the basket filters. Melitta used to advertise that their filters absorb coffee oils and that was one of the reasons Melitta coffee tastes better. Thicker filters might do that better. I have no idea if coffee oils make the coffee not as good. It doesn't seem to be a problem when I use my espresso machine.

If I were going to go with a coffee maker specifically for the cone filters, I would probably opt for Chemex (I actually already have one) but I would look for Chemex filters as well, as they are thicker and said to be a finer filter than Melitta or generic. They are flat and have to be folded rather than coming with a sealed edge, and I think they would work with a Melitta coffee maker as well.

Thanks TL and GZ.

I've just realized something! I never did quite get it that my Mr. Coffee didn't taste as good as my Melitta coffee when I switched coffee makers. Now that you've pointed it out I've realized that the Melitta filters are thicker than the Mr. Coffee filters. Maybe that does make a difference!

Maybe the thicker filters remove more oils from the brew than the thinner filters. Maybe the thickness has some effect on the flow through rate, although the coffee machine design can be adjusted for optimum flow by the design of the heater mechanism (how fast it spits hot water through the filter basket) and by the size of the basket exit hole (how fast it flows out).

I think the brew is also affected by how much coffee you're making. Of course you add more water and more ground coffee if you want to brew more. And you adjust the coffee:water ratio to get the desired strength. But you're still faced with the fact that the hot water flow rate and basket exit rate are fixed by the design and you can't change it.

What I mean to say is that it's not possible to make exactly the same brewed coffee in any desired quantity (although the differences may be minor). If you double or halve the ingredients the ground coffee will be exposed to hot water for a different amount of time and the coffee-water mixture will be a different depth. I don't know if this effect is significant but it may be.

I recall my old Melitta carafe and conic filter basket that fits on top of the carafe. You insert the filter, add the ground coffee, boil the water, and then you pour it through the top a bit at a time (at least that's the way I did it), just enough to get the ground coffee soaked but not so much that you fill the filter basket. If you do that the ground coffee adheres to the side of the filter and gets left behind: your brewed coffee is weaker and some ground coffee was wasted because it is exposed to the hot water a smaller amount of time. To make it work right you have to pour the boiling water through in stages.

I think that's probably a big difference in drip coffee makers. Somebody already mentioned water temperature. Heater flow rate, depth of coffee+water in the basket, and exit rate affect how the brewed coffee comes out. The quantity you're making probably also affects the quality of coffee. But most importantly of all, I think the water temperature is very important! I just tested my Mr. Coffee and the hot water is about 165°. I'm pretty sure that's not hot enough for an optimum cup of coffee.

So I'm still decided that my next coffee maker will be either a Melitta or at least one of the other brands that uses Melitta style filters.

As I recall, water should be at a minimum of 195º F for optimum brewing. That's the primary reason I bought mine. In a Consumer Reports test, it was the only one that reached that temp. It actually has a switch on it which you activate when brewing smaller amounts of coffee that preheats the water before the brewing begins to ensure proper water temp.

Thanks for this thread. As a result, I dug out my old Chemex CN4. Makes 2-12 cups, and I'm going to order some filters, probably the square ones. Easier to remove from the carafe. If I recall, since they are folded, there is enough paper to fold some in over the grounds so they don't float and get wasted.

As I recall, water should be at a minimum of 195º F for optimum brewing. That's the primary reason I bought mine. In a Consumer Reports test, it was the only one that reached that temp. It actually has a switch on it which you activate when brewing smaller amounts of coffee that preheats the water before the brewing begins to ensure proper water temp.
Good point! I'm sure the water temperature changes throughout the brewing process and that too interacts with the amount of coffee you're making.

With my old Melitta carafe and basket topper I brought the water up to simmering, probably very nearly 212°. It made a pretty good of coffee! I can understand why my current Mr. Coffee doesn't do a very good job at about 165°.

With what has been brought up in this discussion I can see that brewing coffee is far more intricate than I had previously realized. And that's not even including the complexities of coffee makers other than the drippers.

I think, also, that coffee makers that have a built-in boiler take on the taste of any mineral scale they accumulate unless they are descaled occasionally.

GZ that reminds me that here in LA we do have scaling problems, and IIRC I periodically mixed vinegar into some water and ran that through the coffee maker to clean it out.

I'm not too far north of you (Ojai), where the water is hard, hard, hard. I boil my water in a stainless steel whistler with a piece of stainless steel that looks like a choreboy scrubber shaped into a tube in it. All the minerals bind to that, and I can take it out of the kettle and just roll it between my hands to break the mineral scale off. Rinse it and pop it back in the kettle.

I was told that the water for coffee shouldn't be boiling and my thought, was bullpoop. I made good coffee and always used it as soon as it boiled. Then one day I wanted to make a single mug of coffee with my Melitta cone. I measured the water with my mug. Much to my surprise, I noticed the improvement in the flavour of the coffee that was due to the water being just a little bit cooler.

Chemex instructions...bring water to a full boil, remove from heat and wait until water stops boiling, then pour...I have a little ritual with my Revere Drip-O-Lator. Turn the flame under the kettle off, then light the tea light candle in my candle-warmer, place the pot on top, then pour. Bunn coffee makers thermostats are set to 204° f. I believe.

I think there's an optimum temperature and it may even vary depending on personal preferences. It seems to me that boiling might be a bit too hot, although I never brought mine to a full boil, and it probably cooled off somewhat as I patiently fed it through Melitta's cone. Pretty much how GZ described it.

My Mr. Coffee temperature of 165° is plainly not hot enough (although my measurement might be a bit on the low side--I ran the same amount of water I normally use through it and then immediately measured the temperature in the carafe). I can drink my coffee immediately after pouring, and sometimes it's too cold to enjoy before I reach the end of my large insulated cup.

What do you think? Can you drink your coffee immediately after brewing or is it too hot for a few minutes? That might be an indication of brewing temperature.

@PF: Flipping over the filter didn't change anything although I'm sure I would have to do it for months to see if it prevented the side falling over problem.

My suggestion for flipping the filters inside out was ONLY to prevent the sides from folding over. It was in no way suggesting you would get a better cup of coffee. Just a quick fix for the problem stated.

No, of course PF. I would have to try the flip over method for months to get any statistically significant results. I made my comment simply because I said I'd try it and post my results, yesterday. It makes sense though, since flipping it over causes the pleats to exert outwards pressure, helping them keep from falling over. Clever idea.

However since starting the topic I've realized that there are far more important issues, particularly the conical filters vs. circular filters with flat bottoms, and I believe the geometry favors the cones, for quality of brewed coffee alone not even considering the malfunctions.

Even without that I've realized my Mr. Coffee just doesn't produce sufficiently hot water to make good coffee.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you're tired of hearing this stuff, but I just scored an eight cup Chemex with glass handle at a thrift for $4.24 out the door. That's eight 5 oz. cups or four 10 oz. mugs, two cup minimum. Nice pot for one or two. Not hand-blown, but nice enough. Makes good coffee.

Back
Top Bottom