"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As I recall, water should be at a minimum of 195 F for optimum brewing. That's the primary reason I bought mine. In a Consumer Reports test, it was the only one that reached that temp. It actually has a switch on it which you activate when brewing smaller amounts of coffee that preheats the water before the brewing begins to ensure proper water temp.
Good point! I'm sure the water temperature changes throughout the brewing process and that too interacts with the amount of coffee you're making.

With my old Melitta carafe and basket topper I brought the water up to simmering, probably very nearly 212. It made a pretty good of coffee! I can understand why my current Mr. Coffee doesn't do a very good job at about 165.

With what has been brought up in this discussion I can see that brewing coffee is far more intricate than I had previously realized. And that's not even including the complexities of coffee makers other than the drippers.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I think, also, that coffee makers that have a built-in boiler take on the taste of any mineral scale they accumulate unless they are descaled occasionally.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Executive Chef

GZ that reminds me that here in LA we do have scaling problems, and IIRC I periodically mixed vinegar into some water and ran that through the coffee maker to clean it out.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I'm not too far north of you (Ojai), where the water is hard, hard, hard. I boil my water in a stainless steel whistler with a piece of stainless steel that looks like a choreboy scrubber shaped into a tube in it. All the minerals bind to that, and I can take it out of the kettle and just roll it between my hands to break the mineral scale off. Rinse it and pop it back in the kettle.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was told that the water for coffee shouldn't be boiling and my thought, was bullpoop. I made good coffee and always used it as soon as it boiled. Then one day I wanted to make a single mug of coffee with my Melitta cone. I measured the water with my mug. Much to my surprise, I noticed the improvement in the flavour of the coffee that was due to the water being just a little bit cooler.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Chemex instructions...bring water to a full boil, remove from heat and wait until water stops boiling, then pour...I have a little ritual with my Revere Drip-O-Lator. Turn the flame under the kettle off, then light the tea light candle in my candle-warmer, place the pot on top, then pour. Bunn coffee makers thermostats are set to 204 f. I believe.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I think there's an optimum temperature and it may even vary depending on personal preferences. It seems to me that boiling might be a bit too hot, although I never brought mine to a full boil, and it probably cooled off somewhat as I patiently fed it through Melitta's cone. Pretty much how GZ described it.

My Mr. Coffee temperature of 165 is plainly not hot enough (although my measurement might be a bit on the low side--I ran the same amount of water I normally use through it and then immediately measured the temperature in the carafe). I can drink my coffee immediately after pouring, and sometimes it's too cold to enjoy before I reach the end of my large insulated cup.

What do you think? Can you drink your coffee immediately after brewing or is it too hot for a few minutes? That might be an indication of brewing temperature.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
@PF: Flipping over the filter didn't change anything although I'm sure I would have to do it for months to see if it prevented the side falling over problem.
My suggestion for flipping the filters inside out was ONLY to prevent the sides from folding over. It was in no way suggesting you would get a better cup of coffee. Just a quick fix for the problem stated.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #39
Executive Chef

No, of course PF. I would have to try the flip over method for months to get any statistically significant results. I made my comment simply because I said I'd try it and post my results, yesterday. It makes sense though, since flipping it over causes the pleats to exert outwards pressure, helping them keep from falling over. Clever idea.

However since starting the topic I've realized that there are far more important issues, particularly the conical filters vs. circular filters with flat bottoms, and I believe the geometry favors the cones, for quality of brewed coffee alone not even considering the malfunctions.

Even without that I've realized my Mr. Coffee just doesn't produce sufficiently hot water to make good coffee.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #40
Sous Chef

I'm pretty sure you're tired of hearing this stuff, but I just scored an eight cup Chemex with glass handle at a thrift for $4.24 out the door. That's eight 5 oz. cups or four 10 oz. mugs, two cup minimum. Nice pot for one or two. Not hand-blown, but nice enough. Makes good coffee.

Tags
coffee