"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
I like my electric Hamilton Beach. I like the no edge thing, makes for a good makeshift storage lid for anything still left in the can. I also like my manual Swing-aways, but my arthritic thumbs are pretty much useless with the turning on a tough can. The Swing-aways are being saved for the apocalypse or an electrical outage.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's a lot of the reason I like my Kuhn Rikon no-sharp edges, lefties have a hard time with regular can openers, I just didn't notice until you mentioned it.
I am a lefty and it takes several tries to use the no-sharp edge kind. Mind you, I don't own it, I use it when I housesit at a friend's and that is what she has. I have a swing-away--have had it for years. It is the ONLY kind of canner opener I've ever been able to use time and time again. As hard as it may seem, learning to use a can opener is a big challenge for lefties. A friend's son (lefty) is struggling with can openers. His mom said it is painful to watch. He'll master it, it just takes time. Fortunately, I use my can opener about once every 3-4 months since I rarely have canned goods in the house. Most of the time, it resides in a drawer.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
The old style can be used like the side cut in most cases. You just need to rotate it 90 degrees.
I have done that on many occasions. It is much easier for someone who is lefthanded. Sometimes if my can is extra tall, I resort to the manual one.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
Senior Cook
 
ahoymatey2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 233
I know the survey is closed but I'm just going to say what I think would be an improvement..... stop making them period. I never had a good one, ever.

I now have a Pampered Chef hand opener, I had a different kind before but took that one up to my camper but the Pampered Chef one has to be the best one I ever owned.
__________________
ahoymatey2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am a lefty and it takes several tries to use the no-sharp edge kind. Mind you, I don't own it, I use it when I housesit at a friend's and that is what she has. I have a swing-away--have had it for years. It is the ONLY kind of canner opener I've ever been able to use time and time again. As hard as it may seem, learning to use a can opener is a big challenge for lefties. A friend's son (lefty) is struggling with can openers. His mom said it is painful to watch. He'll master it, it just takes time. Fortunately, I use my can opener about once every 3-4 months since I rarely have canned goods in the house. Most of the time, it resides in a drawer.
I get the Swing-A-Way on the can with my right hand and then I turn it with my left...makes Shrek nuts to watch me with a knife or the can opener.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I get the Swing-A-Way on the can with my right hand and then I turn it with my left...makes Shrek nuts to watch me with a knife or the can opener.
I used to do the same thing. Drove everyone nuts watching me open a can. No I just open it on the side by putting the works on its side on top of the can.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to do the same thing. Drove everyone nuts watching me open a can. No I just open it on the side by putting the works on its side on top of the can.
Wow Addie, you thought of that too just like PF. Who knew?
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Wow Addie, you thought of that too just like PF. Who knew?
Lefties often learn how to do things "backwards" to make them work correctly. Many people don't have the patience to teach a leftie, because we have to adapt what we see with what feels right for us, so we only look like we are doing things backwards...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Lefties often learn how to do things "backwards" to make them work correctly. Many people don't have the patience to teach a leftie, because we have to adapt what we see with what feels right for us, so we only look like we are doing things backwards...
Lots of lefties in my family. They seem to have gotten really good at using the right hand for certain things. My brother even golfs right handed because he learned with my Dad's clubs that were right handed. My son can cut with either the left or right hand. Oh, and Mom taught my brother how to tie his shoes from in front of him and it worked like a charm since she was right handed.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
Senior Cook
 
ahoymatey2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 233
I may be a 'righty' but I did teach myself to use my left hand with everything I could but I never tried to use a can opener. I never thought about that before but I will give it a try next time I open something up. That should be interesting. I do use my left hand at work for most of my tool changes though so I know I can use allen wrenches & other tools with both hands.
__________________

__________________
ahoymatey2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.