"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like my electric Hamilton Beach. I like the no edge thing, makes for a good makeshift storage lid for anything still left in the can. I also like my manual Swing-aways, but my arthritic thumbs are pretty much useless with the turning on a tough can. The Swing-aways are being saved for the apocalypse or an electrical outage.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's a lot of the reason I like my Kuhn Rikon no-sharp edges, lefties have a hard time with regular can openers, I just didn't notice until you mentioned it.
I am a lefty and it takes several tries to use the no-sharp edge kind. Mind you, I don't own it, I use it when I housesit at a friend's and that is what she has. I have a swing-away--have had it for years. It is the ONLY kind of canner opener I've ever been able to use time and time again. As hard as it may seem, learning to use a can opener is a big challenge for lefties. A friend's son (lefty) is struggling with can openers. His mom said it is painful to watch. He'll master it, it just takes time. Fortunately, I use my can opener about once every 3-4 months since I rarely have canned goods in the house. Most of the time, it resides in a drawer.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
The old style can be used like the side cut in most cases. You just need to rotate it 90 degrees.
I have done that on many occasions. It is much easier for someone who is lefthanded. Sometimes if my can is extra tall, I resort to the manual one.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I know the survey is closed but I'm just going to say what I think would be an improvement..... stop making them period. I never had a good one, ever.

I now have a Pampered Chef hand opener, I had a different kind before but took that one up to my camper but the Pampered Chef one has to be the best one I ever owned.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am a lefty and it takes several tries to use the no-sharp edge kind. Mind you, I don't own it, I use it when I housesit at a friend's and that is what she has. I have a swing-away--have had it for years. It is the ONLY kind of canner opener I've ever been able to use time and time again. As hard as it may seem, learning to use a can opener is a big challenge for lefties. A friend's son (lefty) is struggling with can openers. His mom said it is painful to watch. He'll master it, it just takes time. Fortunately, I use my can opener about once every 3-4 months since I rarely have canned goods in the house. Most of the time, it resides in a drawer.
I get the Swing-A-Way on the can with my right hand and then I turn it with my left...makes Shrek nuts to watch me with a knife or the can opener.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I get the Swing-A-Way on the can with my right hand and then I turn it with my left...makes Shrek nuts to watch me with a knife or the can opener.
I used to do the same thing. Drove everyone nuts watching me open a can. No I just open it on the side by putting the works on its side on top of the can.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to do the same thing. Drove everyone nuts watching me open a can. No I just open it on the side by putting the works on its side on top of the can.
Wow Addie, you thought of that too just like PF. Who knew?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Wow Addie, you thought of that too just like PF. Who knew?
Lefties often learn how to do things "backwards" to make them work correctly. Many people don't have the patience to teach a leftie, because we have to adapt what we see with what feels right for us, so we only look like we are doing things backwards...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Lefties often learn how to do things "backwards" to make them work correctly. Many people don't have the patience to teach a leftie, because we have to adapt what we see with what feels right for us, so we only look like we are doing things backwards...
Lots of lefties in my family. They seem to have gotten really good at using the right hand for certain things. My brother even golfs right handed because he learned with my Dad's clubs that were right handed. My son can cut with either the left or right hand. Oh, and Mom taught my brother how to tie his shoes from in front of him and it worked like a charm since she was right handed.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
Senior Cook

I may be a 'righty' but I did teach myself to use my left hand with everything I could but I never tried to use a can opener. I never thought about that before but I will give it a try next time I open something up. That should be interesting. I do use my left hand at work for most of my tool changes though so I know I can use allen wrenches & other tools with both hands.