"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Lots of lefties in my family. They seem to have gotten really good at using the right hand for certain things. My brother even golfs right handed because he learned with my Dad's clubs that were right handed. My son can cut with either the left or right hand. Oh, and Mom taught my brother how to tie his shoes from in front of him and it worked like a charm since she was right handed.
I bowl and shoot pool right handed. Everything else is left. I can use right handed scissors, just can't get them to cut, no idea why, if I turn them upside down and in my left hand I can cut anything.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
Master Chef

Husband is ... well, he can do both. He is mostly a leftie, but as you mentioned, he learned to do a lot right-handed. It is weird that he can do a lot with both hands. He's almost ... omnidexterous? Is that the right word?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Husband is ... well, he can do both. He is mostly a leftie, but as you mentioned, he learned to do a lot right-handed. It is weird that he can do a lot with both hands. He's almost ... omnidexterous? Is that the right word?
ambidextrous
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #34
Master Chef

Thanks. For some reason that side of my brain wasn't working! Anyway, my husband claims to be a "leftie", but in fact he can do both. He writes and eats like a leftie, but almost everything else he can do with either hand. thank heaven his mother did NOT try to switch him. In his era it was very common to try to switch your left-handed child to right. I think it is interesting that he had a left-handed cousin whose mother tried to "switch" him. He developed a stutter. It is interesting in that I have a friend whose mother tried to switch him and he has a (mild) stutter as well. Thank heaven we've gotten over that!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Thanks. For some reason that side of my brain wasn't working! Anyway, my husband claims to be a "leftie", but in fact he can do both. He writes and eats like a leftie, but almost everything else he can do with either hand. thank heaven his mother did NOT try to switch him. In his era it was very common to try to switch your left-handed child to right. I think it is interesting that he had a left-handed cousin whose mother tried to "switch" him. He developed a stutter. It is interesting in that I have a friend whose mother tried to switch him and he has a (mild) stutter as well. Thank heaven we've gotten over that!
My Dad's teachers hit him on the hand with a ruler when he used his left hand. He was switched to a righty the hard way. At one point they had to tie his arm behind his back to keep him from using that dreaded left hand. So sad. I'm glad that doesn't happen in this country any more (as far as I know).
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
My Dad's teachers hit him on the hand with a ruler when he used his left hand. He was switched to a righty the hard way. At one point they had to tie his arm behind his back to keep him from using that dreaded left hand. So sad. I'm glad that doesn't happen in this country any more (as far as I know).
Sure way to get PF hot on the trail...
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sure way to get PF hot on the trail...
I would be right there with you.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I would be right there with you.
We be scary...
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wow Addie, you thought of that too just like PF. Who knew?
The world is not built for lefties. They do make things for us, but they always cost a lot more. Try finding a watch for a lefty.

I grew up when you weren't allowed to be left handed. As a result I can use both hands for a lot of things, some things I can only do with my left and some only with my right. When I was taking piano lessons, my left hand was the stronger one, yet my brain could read the melody easier than the bass. You think that isn't confusing to a child. When I picked up a violin or guitar I went for the position of the left hander. I prefer a left handed fridge door.