Electric Can Openers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lefties often learn how to do things "backwards" to make them work correctly. Many people don't have the patience to teach a leftie, because we have to adapt what we see with what feels right for us, so we only look like we are doing things backwards...

Like Kermit says, "It's not easy being green."

Believe it or not, for a decade or two I used a P-38 military issue can opener. It fits on your dog tags or key ring. I go to Mom's house every year or so, and cannot operate her electric can opener. I remember once we were having a potluck at work and someone brought something in a can. I walked into my boss' office and said, "Gabe, where is your P-38?" He reached in and gave it to me without thinking, I opened the can and returned it. He suddenly looked at me and said, How did you know I had one? Simple, you're an old retired military man, of course you have one.

Claire, I used to rent to families from Fort Lewis. Everytime an apartment became empty, I would always find a couple in a drawer. I always kept them. I wish I had kept a couple of them. They do come in handy. Go to any VFW, AL or any vets organization. They all have one on their key chains.

We have an Army/Navy surplus store in Malden. The next time I am over there I should stop and buy a couple. :angel:

Last edited:
Lefties often learn how to do things "backwards" to make them work correctly. Many people don't have the patience to teach a leftie, because we have to adapt what we see with what feels right for us, so we only look like we are doing things backwards...
No, we master the correct way to do things. Righties do it wrong:LOL:

Why was it so wrong to be a leftie back in the day? I'd starve if I had to use those military ones. I never could master them. There's one of them that is up at the pavilion where our camper is located & I never can figure that thing out.

Why was it so wrong to be a leftie back in the day? I'd starve if I had to use those military ones. I never could master them. There's one of them that is up at the pavilion where our camper is located & I never can figure that thing out.

Left hand was considered "evil", lefties could be accused of witchcraft. The Spanish word for left is sinistré - sinister. It continued into the 60's because it was ingrained into the culture.

Left hand was considered "evil", lefties could be accused of witchcraft. The Spanish word for left is sinistré - sinister. It continued into the 60's because it was ingrained into the culture.

And in some cultures, the left hand is considered unclean, and you only eat with the right hand.

Back
Top Bottom