Electric Can Openers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goleary

Assistant Cook
Hey, I have to survey 25 people for an Engineering class that I'm in about Electric Can openers and how to improve them. So if you use them regularly or even at all it would be much appreciated if you could take 2 minutes to fill out my survey:

Survey is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
gave up on electrics years ago. one size doesn't fit all, and heavy cans toppled them too often.

Same here.. and I'm not thrilled about having another gadget on my counter. Nothing beats a 6 buck swing-a-way. It always works.

OXO hand cranked and a side-cutting hand cranked.

I went through 2 Oxo can openers some years ago. The lock on the first one broke, so we took it back and got another. The lock on the second broke too! So we just continued to use it since the opener part still worked great. Eventually the crank froze up. I guess we're hard on can openers in my house. We have a good old swing-w-way now though. I tdon't think they make them like they used to though.

And I wouldn't own an electric one. I think those are pretty much obsolete.

IWe have a good old swing-w-way now though. I tdon't think they make them like they used to though.

I did a little looking - they make several models and some are heftier than others. I had to buy a replacement last year after I took mine to a pot luck - it disappeared and discovered that there are several models :(

You can see the line here Can Openers from Swing-A-Way
the 407 and 709 are heavier duty than the cheaper 107.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to own an electric can opener unless they had terrible arthritis or something.
Believe me Jenny, if you had hands like mine that get horrid cramps that you have to use your other hand to straighten them out, you'd use an electric can opener.
kadesma

I have a gripe about the new can openers that cut below the edge of the top seal.

While they do open a can without leaving sharp edges they also complicate the straining of the contents.

The old fashioned type leave a lid sized perfectly for straining the liquids off.

I simply open the can and press the top into the contents to strain off liquid into the sink or into a container if liquids are to be reserved.

With the new CAs I have to reach for a strainer and wash it later.

IMO sometimes new is definitely not improved.

Mom has both a! newfangled and old style CA but when I cook for her at her home I stick with old style.

The new style is bretter for her because at 85 its much easier with her arthritis.

What say you?

I have a can opener that I have had for at least 30 years. It's a Black and Decker. We even moved it from the last house to this one 16 years ago. It is an under the counter one. I guess they made things better back then. I hope it never breaks!;)

I have a gripe about the new can openers that cut below the edge of the top seal.

While they do open a can without leaving sharp edges they also complicate the straining of the contents.

The old fashioned type leave a lid sized perfectly for straining the liquids off.

I simply open the can and press the top into the contents to strain off liquid into the sink or into a container if liquids are to be reserved.

With the new CAs I have to reach for a strainer and wash it later.

IMO sometimes new is definitely not improved.

Mom has both a! newfangled and old style CA but when I cook for her at her home I stick with old style.

The new style is bretter for her because at 85 its much easier with her arthritis.

What say you?

The old style can be used like the side cut in most cases. You just need to rotate it 90 degrees.

vagriller said:
The old style can be used like the side cut in most cases. You just need to rotate it 90 degrees.

In the immortal words of Johnnie Carson..."I did not know that".

Thanks for the tip Grillmeister!

Thought you might want to see what we have used for 30+ years.

image-3661714826.jpg

It may not be pretty any more, but it works like a charm, and comes apart to clean.

Nice!

Sometimes if not often you can't beat the classics.

30 years? That must be a *MBPO model.

*Manufactured Before Planned Obsolescence

I use an old swing-a-way that I can toss in the dishpan and wash each time I use it.

I tried electric can openers and always had a difficult time with large coffee cans and small tomato paste cans.

My current gripe is that you cannot remove the bottom of many cans using a can opener.

Soon they will all be pop top cans or plastic pouches, my can opener can hang in the kitchen as a decoration.

The electric ones can sit in basements next to the eight track players and the VCR's! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I use an old swing-a-way that I can toss in the dishpan and wash each time I use it.

I tried electric can openers and always had a difficult time with large coffee cans and small tomato paste cans.

My current gripe is that you cannot remove the bottom of many cans using a can opener.

Soon they will all be pop top cans or plastic pouches, my can opener can hang in the kitchen as a decoration.

The electric ones can sit in basements next to the eight track players and the VCR's! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
You have forgotten the reel to reel and the turn table. :LOL:

[QUOTE="]

[/QUOTE]

Laughing!

I can see where they can be useful for those who have lost manual dexterity but until I have that problem I'll stick with tried and true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my no sharp edges can opener, I have a couple of the Swing-A-Way's for can I want to drain. I understand the need for an electric, but thank-fully I don't need one, yet. I bet I have a few P-38's hanging around somewhere.

No electrics here. We have a couple of swing-aways and a no sharp edge in the drawer.

DD is left handed and can't use the swing-aways. The no sharp edge models are typically ambidextrous.

No electrics here. We have a couple of swing-aways and a no sharp edge in the drawer.

DD is left handed and can't use the swing-aways. The no sharp edge models are typically ambidextrous.

That's a lot of the reason I like my Kuhn Rikon no-sharp edges, lefties have a hard time with regular can openers, I just didn't notice until you mentioned it.

Back
Top Bottom