Electric Cast Iron Skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okdeb

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum and have a question. I spotted what I thought was a treasure on ebay recently and just received it yesterday. Nobody else bid on this thing so I got it cheap, but it cost over $20 to ship due to it's weight.

It's a cast iron electric skillet with the three little legs on it and a domed lid with the dimples inside. It's 12-inches in diameter and VERY heavy. I cleaned it up and reseasoned it and it works great. The brand is Country Charm.

I've run many searches trying to find any other electric cast iron skillets for comparison purposes with no luck.

Has anyone every heard of electric cast iron skillets and do you have any idea of their value?

Thanks,
okdeb

I think it might be a collectors item, rare for sure. I don't have any desire to sell it, but was curious to know if other companies made them and what they cost. Generally, when I spot something on Ebay that I'm interested in but don't know much about - I'll search a little to see if it's really something I want and if it's a good value. I was surprised when I couldn't find any other electric cast iron skillets for comparison.
The dang thing weighs a ton, but I thought it would be great to use for those big messy jobs. I could just plug it in out on the patio or front porch and keep the mess outdoors until it's time to clean the pan.

I know my husband will groan and say it's something I didn't need. He doesn't cook, he just eats.

This is a great forum. I've been reading and learning from other threads. Glad I found it.

okdeb

Do you have any idea when it was manufactured? Does it have a removable control or is it permanently attached?

I bet it doesn't have any hotspots like some of the more modern cheaply made electric frying pans have.

Thanks psiguyy! I turned it over to look at the little metal plate on the back again. It was made in Rogers Arkansas. The plate says it was manufactured by The House of Webster.
So ... I just ran a search for The House of Webster Rogers Arkansas and got http://www.houseofwebster.com/the_company.html. Apparently the company started making electric appliances in 1957 so I guess my electric skillet isn't real old. I didn't find any electric appliances at the website, but they do list a number to call for replacement parts. I'll hang onto this info. Think I'll request one of their catalogs too and see what other odities they might sell. Only noticed preserves and the like at the website.
This pan is sooooo heavy. The cord is the removable plug-in kind.

Thanks again!
okdeb

A big Canadian welcome to you OkDeb...I am actually a retailer in Canada (hardware stores) and I have not seen a cast iron skillet that is electric...sounds interesting, but as you have mentioned a few times...."it weights a ton" I bet it would be great to lightly simmer sauces etc. Pst :D

Thanks for the welcome pst1can! We're originally from Wisconsin, but have been in Oklahoma since the 80's. Still love Wisconsin, but don't miss those winters. I'm shivering now in OK and it's in the 50's.

After finding the website for House of Webster who manufactured this thing, I sent them an email requesting a catalog. It will be interesting to see what else they make. Nice to know I can probably get a new thermostat/control plug if I ever need it too.

Yep, this thing does weigh a ton, but I really think it'll be great to cook in. I'm really surprised that nobody else even bid on it. I won it for $9.99 but it cost about $23 to ship. Still a bargain for sure. Nobody that I've asked has ever heard of an electric cast iron skillet.

Glad to meet ya!

My mother had one of the first cast iron electric skillets. I don't remember the brand, but the thing was great. Very even heat, It had a cover with a vent on top and was square in shape. The cover had a high dome so that you could put a fair sized piece of meat in it.
I'd kill to have that and her Chambers stove today.

I contacted House of Wesley about the skillet and got an email reply. They no longer make electric appliances, but told me that I could still get a replacement cord for my skillet if I needed it.
The cord I got with it seems to work fine. The control knob is a little wobbly, but since the replacement cord is $25.50, I think the one I have will do.

Glad to hear that someone else has at least known of an electric cast iron skillet. May have been made by the same company who no longer makes them. I was searching ebay for electric skillets when I spotted this one and was actually hoping to find a deal on a vintage stainless pan. The old stuff seemed to be made so much better than most of the new stuff.

Despite the weight of this thing, I'm thrilled to have found it and that I picked it up so cheap. Being in my fifties, it will do doubt serve me the rest of my life. I was trying to describe it over the phone to my brother and when I told him it had little rubbers on the feet, he said "Is that so it doesn't reproduce?" Mine doesn't have a vented lid though. It's a domed lid with the nubs on the inside to drip back into the pan.

To the person whose Mother had one, check the auctions now and then - maybe you''ll spot one that nobody else is interested in like I did. There must be more of them out there since at least one company made them years ago. I considered gifting this thing to my father inlaw, but he's already 80 so I decided to keep it.

How about an electric cast iron pot???

I have come across an electric cast iron pot made by the same company and was searching for info. about it which brought me across this forum. The pot, much like your skillet, is extremely heavy. If you are interested I could provide a picture of it, as I would be interested to see your skillet. I was unable to find any information about the origin of this pot until finding your post and at least someone else who has one of these appliances. It is in good working order, but I have yet to use it.
Thanks to your post, I will now be able to possibly get replacement parts if needed. It is nice to know that we both have two rare appliances that will last years to come. I hope to hear from you and anyone else who may have knowledge regarding these appliances. Merry Christmas All

Hey Cbrown...Welcome to DC! We are glad your search brought you here! I doubt you will get a response from anyone in this thread as it goes back to November 2004. However I would be interested in seeing a picture of your pot, and any other details you can provide! Again Welcome to DC

Merry Christmas!!

We have just been given a cast iron cooking pot with cover. It has three short legs. It is electric but we do not have a cord. I have read all the posts regarding this thread and I will check out the website mentioned. I really would like to see pictures of the ones mentioned and I will be glad to send a picture of ours.

electric cauldron?

Yes, I too have had a crazy search for info on my own find. It is the same company as yours but it is a potbelly cauldron type pot. It has a removable plug in cord that sounds the same with a circular knob to adjust temperature. I picked it up looking for cauldrons for camp cooking and was shocked to find it plugged in.

I bought it on a whim for about $25. Since getting mine I have since seen two others, though without their cords. One was $20 and one was $65. It also weighs a ton, 29 lbs to be specific.

I absolutely love it for all sorts of cooking. It makes divine apple butter and pot roast and looks perfect on a buffet for Christmas when filled with spiced cider. I would love more information on it should anyone know. Especially what on earth to call the silly thing... cast iron electric crockpot? Plug in cauldron? plug in dutch oven? kettle? You can see why finding info on it has been so difficult when you don't even know what to call it.

Hi Kestrel1027, I own the skillet as well as the "cauldron" as you call it. It has bean pot written on the bottom of it. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your apple butter recipe.

Thanks.

Last edited:
We have just been given a cast iron cooking pot with cover. It has three short legs. It is electric but we do not have a cord. I have read all the posts regarding this thread and I will check out the website mentioned. I really would like to see pictures of the ones mentioned and I will be glad to send a picture of ours.
I found one at a flea market about a year a go but can not find any thing one it , love cooking in it .

To all Posters & Thanks to OKDEB for breaking the ice in my search! I Have 2 House of Webster items-a "Bean Pot"and a deep skillet, both look like they use the same cord. I need a cord for these or they just scrap iron! They are in so good shape they still have the rubber covers on the legs-but no cords! Any help is really appreciated.

Try the Wagner and Griswold Society (WAGS). There is a lot of information there, and I have found questions answered quickly.

Electric cast iron skillet

Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum and have a question. I spotted what I thought was a treasure on ebay recently and just received it yesterday. Nobody else bid on this thing so I got it cheap, but it cost over $20 to ship due to it's weight.

It's a cast iron electric skillet with the three little legs on it and a domed lid with the dimples inside. It's 12-inches in diameter and VERY heavy. I cleaned it up and reseasoned it and it works great. The brand is Country Charm.

I've run many searches trying to find any other electric cast iron skillets for comparison purposes with no luck.

Has anyone every heard of electric cast iron skillets and do you have any idea of their value?

Thanks,
okdeb

I have an electric cast iron skillet too. I love cooking in it. I was trying to find someone else that had one. My friend has only seen 2 in his life and he is 70 yrs. old. He said he got this one over 30 years ago used. I am trying to find out all I can about it and it's value.

I have an electric cast iron skillet too. I love cooking in it. I was trying to find someone else that had one. My friend has only seen 2 in his life and he is 70 yrs. old. He said he got this one over 30 years ago used. I am trying to find out all I can about it and it's value.

HI and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

The person you quoted asked that question in 2004 so it's unlikely that she can help you. But stick around - someone else might have an answer.

Back
Top Bottom