Electric Deep Fat Fryers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essie

Senior Cook
I would like to buy a fryer and really would like recommendations.
I won't use it often, but I want one that will seal out the fat so the food is somewhat less unhealthy. Also, I want one that is easy to clean and with some sort of filter system. I have seen many and they all say how wonderful they are, but only real cooks can give honest information

Thanks ahead of time.

A fryer won't seal out the fat. That's done by the cooking process. You have to ensure the oil is hot enough and be sure not to put too much food in at once.

Look for a fryer with a larger capacity, up to 20 cups of oil (5 quarts). The large amount of oil will help keep temperatures steady when you put food in.

I have a stainless steel Europro model with a removeable container for the oil that will go into the dishwasher. Others have a spigot or tube that allows you to drain the oil into a different container.

Look for a model with a temperature range up to at least 375 F. Higher, if possible.

I have the Presto Options Multi-Cooker which slow cooks, boils, roasts, steams and deep fries as well. It holds up to 6 qts. But not when deep frying.
You need some room in case the oil expands a little bit. And it must come just to the top of the basket which is lower than the rim of the cooker itself.

It sits on 4 tall sturdy legs high off the counter or table and comes with its own glass lid and had an adjustable heat control that removes for easy cleaning of the cooker.

I also have the monster Turk N' Surf giant Electric Turkey Fryer which also steams, boils and deep fries. With this big baby you can feed an army! But you're probably not looking for something that big and monstrous.

The heat control is also temp adjustable up to 400 degrees, has a removable inner pot for easy cleaning, a spigot for easy removle of the oil once it has cooled down, a glass lid and the entire heat control and the powerful heating element are one unit that can be removed together!

I've only used it once though to deep fry a turkey. But it can be used to make mounds of crowd-size French fries, clambakes and steamers (steamed
clams). It takes a lot of oil though to fill this bad boy, so it might not be the unit you'd like to get. Neither of these units have a filter.

But I think most of the smaller oblong-shaped units that come with one or two baskets do.

~Corey123.

Thanks for the responses.
It seems that I can always count on the two of you for help.

Essie

I have the Philips Digital Pro stainless steel model, and it is fantastic. The oil reservior lifts out of the unit, it has a filter built in to the lid, and everything but the control panel/heating element can go into the dishwasher.

Yes!!

It's great to be able to wash the units in the sink or dishwasher when the heat control is removable!

~Corey123.

Hi Corey123, I've just read your earlier post on your Turn N Surf machine. I can barely fit a full-size turkey in my oven! How big is your kitchen? I never even knew a fryer this size existed.

Snoop Puss said:
Hi Corey123, I've just read your earlier post on your Turn N Surf machine. I can barely fit a full-size turkey in my oven! How big is your kitchen? I never even knew a fryer this size existed.

My kitchen is of the average eat-in size.

The Turk N' Surf Turkey Fryer has been out for a while. Since last summer.

Bed bath & Beyond has it on sale for $99.00. It must be a clearance item there. Be advised that the unit accommodates turkeys 14lb. or under. Nothing over that. But it's so quick that you can cook two 14-lb turkeys in 90 minutes - less than the amount of time it would take you to roast one 14-pounder in the oven!!

The whole advantage of this unit though over the outdoor propane-powered ones is that it can be used inside as well as outdoors.

And BTW, Presto makes smaller round-type deep fryers, but none of them are submersible.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom