"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Durham View Post
I don't even really know what "grill" means. Is that the things with lids that are lined up like used cars at Home Depot? Do they work on windy days? Do they work in the garage on rainy days? Do they last forever like the Sunbeam almost did?

It seems like a dreadful thing to have to own but if it does the trick it might be the best answer. I certainly do miss gas since I moved South.
What do you mean? I live in the South and we have gas.

Yes, they will work on windy, rainy days. Just leave the garage door open

Old 04-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What do you mean? I live in the South and we have gas.
I think that there's only one house in the neighborhood that has a gas tank and has the truck come in.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Hello. Nice to meet you.

My beloved midcentury Sunbeam CONTROLLED HEAT electric frypan hath the dust bitten.

I feel your pain. I had a similar pan for years - it was made by salad master and had an oil core. It was built like a tank and cooked like a champ; I loved it. I found a replacement on ebay that was entirely satisfactory you might give that route a try...
Old 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Actually I just this minute did just exactly that.

It only has to last until I'm dead, and I'm pretty far up the road.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think that there's only one house in the neighborhood that has a gas tank and has the truck come in.
We have a gas line, not a tank. Runs to the stove and the water heater, so we have hot water even during a power outage
Old 04-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Take a look.

Sunbeam Vista Tilt High Dome Lid Immersible Electric 12'' Skillet Fry Pan | eBay

I think I found your solution to your problem. A SUNBEAM electric frying pan. Take a looksee.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have a gas line, not a tank. Runs to the stove and the water heater, so we have hot water even during a power outage
Once up North the power was down for a week in cold weather. I didn't know that gas furnaces had special settings to keep the house warm on an emergency basis. I'm so embarrassed, I'm supposed to be such a handyman.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Once up North the power was down for a week in cold weather. I didn't know that gas furnaces had special settings to keep the house warm on an emergency basis. I'm so embarrassed, I'm supposed to be such a handyman.
I'm not sure that's the case. At least my gas furnace requires electricity to ignite the gas. So, for the last power outage we had no heat. On the other hand, our gas water tank has a pilot light so we had plenty of hot water.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
Sous Chef

A few years ago there were a lot of power outages on Thanksgiving. One of our computer consultants didn't have power, but had a propane stove. He took his battery backup from his computer and plugged the stove controller into it so his wife could make dinner.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm not sure that's the case. At least my gas furnace requires electricity to ignite the gas.
Your fault for having a modern furnace. On mine there was a bypass you could switch on, manually light the gas, turn it down about halfway so it doesn't burn the heat exchanger, take out the filter so the warm air rose and the cold air fell, and there you had it. Your only thermostat was the flame height, but compared with no heat at all that would have been golden.

Of course you'd put it all back when the lights were back on.

Tags
electric, potato