"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Electric Kettle

Do you have one? Do you like it? What do you like or dislike about it. Was it worth the money or would you have been better off with a kettle on the stove?

I am looking to buy one, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost.

This is the one I am looking at. As it turns out, we actually have this one in our office (I did not know that when I started looking at these and chose this one as my front runner). I boiled 3 cups of water in it today for the first time just as a test. I did not do a side by side comparison, but it did not seem like it was any faster than a kettle on my stove. Once it came to a boil it automatically shut off, but the only indication that it was done was that the on/off button clicked into the off position with a very soft click. I would not hear that when using it at home as I would generally be too far away to hear that.

So what am I missing? Should I just stick with my stove top kettle?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Oh, a hotpot. Good for travel or for soup. I threw ours away and have been sorry every since.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'd like one just because I don't like to heat up the whole house all the time with the stove... in the winter the stove is ok, but it would have been nice this summer with the a/c not working.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Do they make one that keeps the water hot after boiling? Would you want that?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

MW it is different than a hot pot. A hot pot can be used for things other than water if memory serves. An electric kettle does one job. It boils water (with nothing in it).

Andy, I have not found one that does not turn off after it comes to a boil. At least not in the price range I am looking (as inexpensive as possible). At first I thought I would not want it to turn off until I was ready for it, but the more I thought about it the more I did not think it would be an issue for me either way.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

$42 seems like a lot to just boil water. Does the electric pot solve a problem for you or is it just a convenience to free up a burner?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Well I have heard they are much quicker than boiling water on the stove which is why I initially wanted it. I have also heard they are a lot more energy efficient, but it would probably take quite a while for that to equal $42.

The main reason I thought it would come in handy is that I have switched to using a French Press for coffee. With the stove top kettle I need to fill it with water and then boil it. I then have to pour out the amount I need into a measuring cup and then into the FP. This honesty is not a big deal at all, but it would be just a tad easier with the kettle. If you pour 3 cups of cold water into the kettle you know you will have 3 cups of boiling water when it is done. There are cup measurements on the side so I would not first need to pour into a measuring cup. Like I said, it is a small thing.

If I did get one then I would be able to get rid of my stove top kettle or at least move it downstairs. I do not often (or ever) need all four burners on my stove at once, but it would be nice to not have the kettle there so that I had more room for the things that are on the stove.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

That makes a lot of sense. I hade seen on Good Eats that they are faster than a stove but never testeed that (as I don't have an elec. kettle).
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Right, such things are pricey.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I can vouch for the quickness of which they boil water. A full pot is about 5 min, at least to my experience. At my last restaurant, we would have NEVER gotten through tea service with out them, they were awesome!