"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Ahh. It has a power light. When the light first goes out, it has reached the temperature you set it to, and you can begin to bake. As for broil, you have to be careful. Watch the food with the door partly open. My rule: If you can smell it, it's already burning.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
Head Chef

Shortly after moving into an apartment with an old electric oven, put in a 12 lb turkey to roast at 350 degrees. Looked at it in an hour and a half and it was brown and fully cooked.

The thermostats do not always work correctly in ovens. Can only iterate that one should always have an oven thermometer. They are so cheap, particularly compared to the cost of a few ruined meals.

Did learn how to cook in an oven that only went full blast. Would not recommend the procedure routinely, but it was a small victory. When you are young, just married, and living in a place where almost nothing works right, any small victory seems large.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Yeah I know what you mean!!!Gonna get an oven thermometer tommorow for sure!!!!!!
Hope my baking gets a little better next time!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi again everbody!!!!!I have done quite a bit of baking since I last posted and I'm getting the hang of it now!!!!!!Feels really good I just need a few tips on broiling.....I want to broil some bread with cheese.....do I need to leave the oven door open when I broil??I believe it may take just a few minutes to broil....which rack would be ideal for broiling the bread?????Also does the broiler need to be preheated and for how long????? I don't have a specific broiling pan.......I have a non stick aluminum cookie sheet but there was a posting saying that should not be used for broiling....can I use a disposable aluminum pan for broiling then????????Some tips please!!!!!
Thanx!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Yes, you can use disposable aluminum pans or just plain aluminum foil. You don't want to use non-stick pans because they are not designed to withstand that kind of heat.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Assuming the broiler coils are at the top of the oven, position the rack as close as possible, but not so high that you can't see the surface of the cheese with the door open. No need to preheat, but watch it closely. In my experience, if you can smell it, it will be burned in seconds!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I just watch the coils on top, when they are all red put my bread in, now I put mine done about four inches, so I can watch it better, door open always when broiling for me.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the tips!!!!!Will try to use my broiler over the weekend ........will let u'll know how it turns out!!!!!!!!!!Hope I don't burn anything! Thanx again!!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

When you use the broiler you are supposed to leave the door ajar. That's what our instructions said. Also most of those stoves came with a broiler pan, a two piece pan with the bottom to catch drippings and a top that is like a slotted grill surface that nestles with the bottom pan. Basically you are top grilling and there is no heat setting.

As mentioned before when baking you set the temperature and when the light goes out the temperature is reached and then you can put in what you are baking. So you keep the door closed.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Hi Just wanted to say got down to using the broiler this weekend And it turned out fine!!!!!!!!!!.Fortunately no burning!!!!Left the oven door ajar and kept a close eye on it. Thanks for the tips!!!!!!