"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I've resided in ony TWO apartments that had an electric range / oven. They worked OK, but I prefer a gas stove.

I may have to move to a low-income apt. before or by this spring, and the apartment that I move to might have another electric stove, since most newer apartments now come with electric stoves.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Gas ovens aren't even an option in our area. Never heard the leave the door open to broil, but it does make some sense.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #23
Executive Chef

On advantage, I forgot to mention, for electric ovens over gas ones, is that they won't heat up your kitchen in the summer, like a gas oven will. Simply because a gas oven has to have oxygen for the fire to work.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
On advantage, I forgot to mention, for electric ovens over gas ones, is that they won't heat up your kitchen in the summer, like a gas oven will. Simply because a gas oven has to have oxygen for the fire to work.
That's not true at all. As a matter of fact I use the oven to heat the house. This weekend it was 68 outside and 78 inside to the point I had to turn on my air conditioning in WINTER. Not sure where you heard that, as you indicated very little experience with electric, but I've used my oven as a heater for many many years. There's a heat release "spout" of sorts that comes up out the back burner where heat escapes. It definitely heats the house!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Wow using the oven to heat up the house...Now that's something I haven't heard of before!!!!!But you r right...if you use them for a while they do heat up the place.My kitchen does get warm after continous use.

I was advised to get an oven thermometer on this post earlier.......so I got myself a thermometer this weekend.I would like to know what is the right way to use the thermometer.Do I turn the oven on and place it inside right away or put it in later ? Should it be in the oven throughout the baking?????...........Not sure how it is to be done. Need some help please!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
My oven thermometer "lives" in the oven all the time. The only time I take it out is when I clean the oven.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
That's not true at all. As a matter of fact I use the oven to heat the house. This weekend it was 68 outside and 78 inside to the point I had to turn on my air conditioning in WINTER. Not sure where you heard that, as you indicated very little experience with electric, but I've used my oven as a heater for many many years. There's a heat release "spout" of sorts that comes up out the back burner where heat escapes. It definitely heats the house!

You've obviously had to have had the door open for heat. If you had a heater on your stove, then that would be a horse of a different color.

When you use the oven to cook something, most of the heat stays inside the oven.

Very little experience? I've lived in an all-electric-powered apt. for three years, meaning that the stove was electric as well. And there were no vents to expel any heat on the appliance. But I lived in another apt. for a year that had an electric stove.

Maybe that has changed in today's world, but back then, there weren't any.
Also, electric stoves seem to have more insullation then gas ones - hence their minimal heat exposure when the door is closed.

The apt. that I'm presently, has a gas stove with a heater in it. But now, I've heard that even THAT has been outlawed, possibly for safety reasons.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
You've obviously had to have had the door open for heat. If you had a heater on your stove, then that would be a horse of a different color.

When you use the oven to cook something, most of the heat stays inside the oven.

Very little experience? I've lived in an all-electric-powered apt. for three years, meaning that the stove was electric as well. And there were no vents to expel any heat on the appliance. But I lived in another apt. for a year that had an electric stove.

Maybe that has changed in today's world, but back then, there weren't any.
Also, electric stoves seem to have more insullation then gas ones - hence their minimal heat exposure when the door is closed.

The apt. that I'm presently, has a gas stove with a heater in it. But now, I've heard that even THAT has been outlawed, possibly for safety reasons.
Corey, I've heated three different apartments and one duplex with electric ovens over the span of the last 15 years. Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about REGARDLESS of what you claim to know and believe (see the perils of baking cookies this weekend, that wasn't because after 6 hours of the oven being on the house was cold).

I have central air and heat (don't know what a "heater on the oven" is supposed to be) and an electric oven. This weekend just to keep the house cool the air conditioning was on set at 65 but the temp was still reading 78 degrees in the house BECAUSE THE OVEN WAS ON.

I don't know where you got the idea that electric ovens don't put off heat to the house but whoever told you that lied. I've never had to have the door open to use the oven as a "heater" to warm the kitchen in the winter. And a pot on the back burner will actually boil water because that's where the excess heat escapes. If heat could not escape, the oven would blow open. When heat builds, some must escape or the heat would keep building and food would be over cooked.

Are you sure you aren't confusing confection ovens with regular electric ovens?

BTW ~ fleur agreed with me that an electric oven will warm up the house.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
Executive Chef

No, I'm not confusing convection ovens with regular electric ones.

Heater on the stove means a gas stove that has a seprate burner in a side chamber for heat in the winter.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Well regardless, you're still completely wrong about electric ovens and their ability to heat a house. Would you like a picture of the vent pipe?

Maybe you should post a picture of what you mean because it makes no sense.