"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Master Chef
Have you considered an induction cooktop? They can be had for a reasonable proce and give all of the advantages of gas, plus. Then you can purchase an oven seperately. You get the instant on/off, and instant teperature control of gas, with no gas pollutant by-products in your home, plus the added safety inherent in the product. Even if left on at full power, if there is no pan on the sotve top, it stays cold. Give it a look.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I way prefer gas. That being said, I have cooked on electric for years, both coil and ceramic. If I had to go electric, I would go with a ceramic top and a convection oven. My sis has such a stove from Frigidaire and it cooks very well. Also look into GE top end and various induction tops like Electrolux.

Does your area have propane?, a good alternative to natural gas.

I must disagree that a $300 gas range is better than an fancy electric. It is not. Cheap ranges are cheap ranges regardless of the fuel.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
Head Chef
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
A recent review by consumer reports shows that electric coil stoves often outperform consumer grade gas ranges.

Where gas really shines is on commercial or high end pro style ranges with high BTU's, not on consumer grade ranges.

I bought a Samsung stainless convection range from Lowe's in June for $998, for our new house, all that I can say is that I love this range, especially the oven, it does a fantastic job at baking. It has a proofing function, a keep warm function and a convect roast that turns out the most beautiful roast chicken, looks like a picture out of a cookbook.

The ceramic top took a bit of getting used to, but it has proved very responsive, no longer do I need to move pans off the burner if things start cooking too fast like I did with my old rental coil stove (it was a decent stove, but used and abused).

I did lots of research before buying this range, and it seems that Frigidaire is one of the less reliable brands, I so I steered clear when I needed to replace the stove and fridge.
I agree... we just got a Samsung last July after the control panel fried on our 6 year old Frigidaire glasstop. The Samsung heats faster than the Frigidaire, and has more features, including both steam and full self-cleaning options for the oven. The Convection oven is great, and it includes a dough proofing setting.

One thing you can do with the ceramic top... when cooking anything, as it gets close to done you can turn the power off and let the residual heat finish the job for the last 3 or 4 minutes. This actually works quite well, and with some sauces it is even a bit of insurance against burning as the sauce thickens or reaches its final reduction stage.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote

budget, electric, oven, stainless-steel