Electric Skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
I have an Electric Skillet on order. Due in Wednesday.

Proctor Silex Electric Skillet - Walmart.com
Code:
reviews_limit=10&wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227032152529&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=61527619832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=125613958832&veh=sem

I'm hoping I can use this sitting at the table instead of standing at the stove with a real skillet. I don't know what to expect but am looking for a website that might have temp setting for "simmer", "fry", "cook", "saute", and all those other words. Also looking for a good Electric Skillet cookbook. Also, any tips on using this would be appreciated.

I've found web sites for Pressure Cooking and Slow Cooking, are there any specifically for Electric Skillet Cooking?

I'd expect the skillet to come with a cookbook. Otherwise, just treat it like a pan on the stove. If you cook sitting at the table, will your stove vent take care of any smoke?

I have a stool in the kitchen that I pull over to the stove when I need to stand there for a while. I also bought an Instant Pot multicooker that I can plug in next to my prep area on my peninsula, so I can sit there when I use it.

I have a 10 year old Zojirushi electric skillet mainly for use at the table to use as a hot pot. I don't think I've ever used it for frying......bought it mainly for doing shabu-shabu type meals. Nice appliance, but I haven't used it in a while...

Those skillets are nice because they maintain a temperature that you set it at instead of overheating like a pan on the stove.

Got the skillet. The manual is worthless. Does not explain the control. There is a large blank space before the 200 deg. mark. No idea what that does. Absolutely no recipes provided. There are Presto, Westbend, Cuisinart, Oil clad, and various other manufactures on the internett providing recipes, but not Proctor Silex.

That being said,
1) Can anyone provide me with a Chili recipe for the Electric Skillet?
2) Can I use a casserole recipe that says to bake in the oven, in the Electric Skillet?

I usually do chili in the crockpot cooked on low all day. I'd just follow the regular recipe for a skillet on the stove. Usually on the back of a chili seasoning packet, they have a recipe for chili where you cook the hamburg, add onions, beans, etc.. Just use that for the electric skillet.

But I usually just cook chili low and slow all day in the crockpot.

That being said,
1) Can anyone provide me with a Chili recipe for the Electric Skillet?
2) Can I use a casserole recipe that says to bake in the oven, in the Electric Skillet?

Like Kayelle said, you probably should use it as a skillet. Like a skillet on a stovetop but electrically self-heating.

Chili and other stews are usually made in pots with higher sides. Hard to tell if you could make chili in the electric skillet you have. Depends on size and other factors.

You can't use the skillet to bake anything. It would be a lot easier for you to bake a casserole in the oven rather than trying to get the equivalent result with an electric skillet.

Kayelle's suggestion of looking up skillet recipes is a good one.

I have an old electric skillet. The base is oil filled, so it takes a little longer to come to heat, but there are zero hot spots. Heats very evenly. I like it.

The one thing that my mother and my wife's mother had in common, they both made excellent fried chicken in their electric skillets. My mother did some other things too, but they were usually foods that were essentially fried, even if they had other things added after starting with frying. Things like pork chops or chuck steak finished in a sauce of some sort.

I like the idea of an electric skillet for fried chicken. It will make maintaining a Constant temperature much easier.

I agree that electric skillets make great fried chicken. Mine died about 10 or 15 years ago, after many years of good use. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one.

Last edited:
I agree that electric skillets make great fried chicken. Mine died about 10 or 15 years ago, after many years of good use. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one.

I've been thinking the same lately. When I had kids at home I loved the fact it was square and food just "fit better" than in a round stove top skillet.

I almost bought this one for the winter holidays...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNkJ36f81FA

Last edited:
Got the skillet. The manual is worthless. Does not explain the control. There is a large blank space before the 200 deg. mark. No idea what that does...

The only thing I can think of to use a skillet under 200F for is to keep cooked food warm. Cover it first.
Or, just maybe, 200 degrees is the lowest temperature that the skillet goes to. It might not turn on the elements to heat the thing until it reaches the 200 mark. Only one way to find out - see if something stays warm when you set it halfway between "off" and "200".

Like Kayelle said, you probably should use it as a skillet. Like a skillet on a stovetop but electrically self-heating.

Chili and other stews are usually made in pots with higher sides. Hard to tell if you could make chili in the electric skillet you have. Depends on size and other factors.

You can't use the skillet to bake anything. It would be a lot easier for you to bake a casserole in the oven rather than trying to get the equivalent result with an electric skillet.

Kayelle's suggestion of looking up skillet recipes is a good one.

My son just found a Pace Salsa magazine from 1995. It has 3 Chili recipes perfect for the electric skillet. Each one says bring to boil, then simmer for 10, 20, or 30 minutes depending on the recipe. Anywhere between 8 - 10 cups. They must have made recipes back then for electric skillets. There are several more, and they all look like they will fit and cook in an electric skillet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom