"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-01-2005, 02:36 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Question Electric Skillets

I need help in finding a quality brand and heavy steel Electric Skillet. Mine went out on me a couple of months ago and i miss it!! It was giving to me by my mom it was an old Westinghouse. Does anyone have any ideas to where i can find a good one? I love to fry chicken and make all kinds of things in it. Other fellow users i could use some good recipes for my new skillet too. hahaha Thanks!! Dont forget to vote 5 stars for DC!!

Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #2

Why don't you check ebay Heat? That way you can look at everything on the market and decide what kind you want.

You might even get lucky and find one of those rare cast iron electric skillets.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Heat
Smile Thanks !!

Thanks Chocolatechef! Thats a great idea! I would love to have a cast iron one!! Woooo Hoo. I will check it out! thanks again!
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #4

Good luck!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

Just something to think about, Heat ....

For an electric skillet you might want to think about getting one that is thick aluminum. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat than cast iron .. steel falls somewhere inbetween but closer to cast iron. This means that if you need to increase the heat, it will come up to temp faster, if you need to lower the heat it will cool off and come down to temp faster.

Ironically, cast iron does it's voodoo because it is a poor heat conductor. It's slow to heat up, slow to cool down, thus it retains heat very well. That's one reason a cast iron skillet is so good for frying chicken ... the pan temp doesn't drop as much when you add the chicken.

For an electric skillet you need something a little more responsive. That is why nonstick aluminum would be my first choice.

Mom used to have one - think it was a Sunbeam - but I've never owned one.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

i am going camping with my family next week and I am wondering if you can cook cornbread in an electric skillet... We are carrying the electric skillet and crock pot for quick meals that can cook all day and i was wondering if anyone has tried that?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I dont know if anyone is interested in electric grills / skillet but I have the cuisenart one that is two sided, long nonstick and OMG let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever owned, so easy to use and clean cooks wonderfully
Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookSource
I dont know if anyone is interested in electric grills / skillet but I have the cuisenart one that is two sided, long nonstick and OMG let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever owned, so easy to use and clean cooks wonderfully
I was looking at the Cuisenart site today and saw that. I'm glad to know someone has a good review of it.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi820
i am going camping with my family next week and I am wondering if you can cook cornbread in an electric skillet... We are carrying the electric skillet and crock pot for quick meals that can cook all day and i was wondering if anyone has tried that?
You could certainly make Hoe Cakes, which would be just as good as cornbread, maybe even better! Here's a scratch recipe, but I think you could also use Jiffy Mix and just thin the batter with a little more milk.
I have a friend who puts Jiffy Mix in her waffle iron. I've never tried it, but I'll bet it's good.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,...248193,00.html
Old 08-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Try looking into getting a Rival or Presto.

They're very good.

~Corey123.