Electric steamer versus traditional steamer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezah

Assistant Cook
I just found out that a local store will have an electric steamer and a regular one on offer tomorrow. They'll sell out pretty quickly so I plan to head there in the morning before classes.

I was going to post the website but it wouldn't let me post urls. but if you go to lidl.ie and click on 'Specials' and then on Thursday, you'll see 'em.

08_16463_b.jpg
08_18636_b.jpg

So I welcome any advice on which to go for. There's hardly any price difference so that's not an issue.

So far I'm in favor of the electric one, because I think that the 3 different compartments make it easier to manage different cooking times from different things, and it seems like a machine designed to make steam would be more energy efficient than using the electric stove with a regular steamer.

On the other hand, it might be harder to clean and take up more precious kitchen counter space... ?

and then there is the danger that it is one of those appliances that gets stuck in the back of the cupboard and is never used. Though, I recently bought my dad one of those steamer insets that you just pop into a regular pot with water, and so far I liked the results and would like to do the same in my student kitchen. I just love the idea of being able to make fish and even chicken without adding fat or having to use a frying pan.

I'd appreciate any advice :)

Last edited:
Is the one on the right large enough to cook spaghetti in, or make soup? I have one that looks like that and it is. If so, and you don't already have a large pot, it would seem the more versatile of the two (to me).

I have an electric and a pot steamer...
Never used the one for the pot...... it just came with the stockpot when I bought the set.
the electric is used quite often, it's great for rice also, and is not hard to clean.

I would go with the one on the right, for the reasons Pacanis mentioned. Also, don't be afraid of using a little oil when cooking - there are fat-soluble vitamins and flavors that you won't get if you don't use it. Just a teaspoon or so is all you need when cooking for one. And unsaturated fats (olive and canola oil, for example) are good for your heart :) HTH.

thanks for the advice :)

I have an electric and a pot steamer...
Never used the one for the pot...... it just came with the stockpot when I bought the set.
the electric is used quite often, it's great for rice also, and is not hard to clean.

ahh that's good to know!

Is the one on the right large enough to cook spaghetti in, or make soup? I have one that looks like that and it is. If so, and you don't already have a large pot, it would seem the more versatile of the two (to me).

hm, I never even thought of that. though I do have a big pot, It would make draining pasta so much easier..

Also, don't be afraid of using a little oil when cooking - there are fat-soluble vitamins and flavors that you won't get if you don't use it. Just a teaspoon or so is all you need when cooking for one. And unsaturated fats (olive and canola oil, for example) are good for your heart :) HTH.

oh, good point. Though, as you say a teaspoon or so is enough, and I've never managed to fry chicken and dress the salad or whatever else using just a teaspoon in total. That reminds me to buy some EVOO though - the drawback of going shopping with a bicycle is that you're hesitant to buy big heavy glass bottles..

Ok so the update is, I am buying.... er, neither of these specific ones, because I just found a much more affordable (and yet pretty much same features) one in another local shop.. and get this, with the price difference saved I can get (for lack of proper name for it) one of those inset thingies for a big pot I already have, so, in short, I can get both of these things for the price of one, but I have to wait a bit longer.
but, I am still cycling into town this morning because they do have a nice set of Casserole Dishes I want. The salmon is already waiting in my fridge.

I'd better get a move on if I want to make class this morning.. ! thanks everyone :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom